Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ferrets Ferret cage liner

Tmarbry

Cavy Gazer
Hey... so I'm wanting to put fleece cage liners in my ferrets cage but he keeps pulling them off....any suggestions on what I can use to hold them in place?? I don't want to use glue since I wash everything once a week....

Thank you. :)

CuddleWoozle

Cavy Gazer
Maybe you could sew some velcro tabs onto them? Or put clips of some kind.

When I had ferrets they never got to have fleece bedding because they actually wanted to eat it. Not just chew at it, actually -eat- it. Which was disappointing because I wanted them to have nice soft 'carpet'.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've read about other ferrets that ate the fleece. What do the ferret forums recommend for bedding?

Tmarbry

Cavy Gazer
The cage I have the shelves snap onto the actual cage... I may try the velcro and see if it will hold up.... thank you so much for your reply.

Tmarbry

Cavy Gazer
Everyone place I've read says fleece. He has blankets that are fleece and he loves them he doesn't bite or try and eat it at all

CuddleWoozle

Cavy Gazer
Fleece -is- usually the best thing for ferrets, but I just ended up with weirdies who wanted to be screwballs. XD Aside from trying to eat the fleece, they also pooed in the corner of their house and slept in their 'toilet box'. I would clean the poo and put it in the box and they would give me the most scathing looks. Like "WOMAN. WHY ARE YOU PUTTING THAT IN OUR BED? YOU HORRID HUMAN."

Edit: Also, they had hammocks and hidey-houses and stuff to play with, they were really just oddballs. lol (Still loved them though. XD)

kanojochan

Cavy Slave
When I had ferrets I made fleece mats that were several layers thick and covered most of the floor of the cage. Then I crowded each level with hammocks and sleeping bags and hideys and there were no problems with digging or moving things around. I also let her out to roam my room freely when I was home so she wouldn't get bored. Is there a specific problem you're encountering when he pulls off the fleece?

speedskating

Cavy Slave
I've heard that you can use binder clips to hold down fleece.

CuddleWoozle

Cavy Gazer
I've heard that you can use binder clips to hold down fleece.

Yeah, those work great for holding things where you want them to stay. I'd almost forgotten about that. I had one that kept them from dragging their alligator bed into their litter pan. I also used small bungee cords to keep the litter pan in the corner where I wanted it. I hooked the metal end through a small hole I made in the plastic pan and ran them down and underneath to hook them onto the bottom of the cage. It kept the corded part of the strap out of the reach of the ferrets and kept them from tipping their pan over. Just mentioning them as it might be something to look into.

Tmarbry

Cavy Gazer
He just keeps pulling them off and I don't want him to use the bathroom on them... but the binder clips I may try.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.