Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

To Loft a kitchen or not

I want to add a kitchen to a 4x2 cage and due to space constraints I can add more room if I go up instead of out if that makes sense. My girls are 6mos and 1 1/2 yrs if that matters. I'm thinking of adding a 2x2 loft and using that for the kitchen, that way they won't lose the floor space. I thought of adding it to the end of the cage but just isn't the room and I thought a 1x2 wasn't big enough. Can only add 1x2 to the end of the cage. Are there any problems that I could run into by moving the food area into a loft? Has anyone done this and had problems? Just trying to eliminate any foreseen problems. The motivation is to give them more room. They get to running around the cage right now and sometimes it sounds like there are 20 piggy's in there instead of 2. I know the food dishes and hay rack is cramping their fun. LOL I think they may just enjoy running up and down the ramp.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    69 Rec'd/59 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Re: To Loft a kitchen or not

I think a 1x2 is big enough for a kitchen for 2 girls, that's what we have and there's been no issues, we just keep a pile of hay, water bottle, and food dish on each half of the kitchen.

From what I've heard, it can cause issues to have lofts in general and more so if it's the kitchen, if your piggies get territorial and decide to block one another from going up/down the ramp.

You could give it a shot, and if there's any issues, either make the 1x2 kitchen on the main level, or add a second ramp going to the top.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

3. "Thank you, peachyteen, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,569 Rec'd/1,289 Posts
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)

You will undoubtedly get varying opinions about your setup. I originally had a 2x4 bottom level with a 1x2 loft and in no way was it large enough for two adult cavies! I have a limited amount of space for a cage need to maximize it. I expanded the cage to a 2x5 main level with a 2x2 offset/overhanging loft. Here is the design that I used which allows access to the cage which sits wedged between my desk and a wall:

Name:  Offset loft design.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  47.5 KB

A 1x2 loft really isn't good for much of anything because both boys seem to want to go to the loft at the same time and there really just isn't enough room. It doesn't seem like much of a difference, but a 2x2 loft makes a world of difference. I have a hay rack, litter box, water bottle, pellet dish and a hidey in the loft and there is still room for them to move around. My guys get far more exercise running up and down the ramp than they ever would running on the main level.

I'll show you the two lofts of different sizes so that you can see the difference.

Name:  Crowded Loft.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  63.0 KB Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loft3.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	79502

5. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

If more floor space is the goal, and if you can extend the footprint an additional 1x2 space (if I'm understanding you right) then my suggestion would be to get the 2x2 loft, but offset it onto the 1x2 space you have. The offset allows easier cleaning under a 2x2 loft, you gain a storage slot (you don't need a cubby bin to make it work, but does help with their supplies), and more importantly, allows you to give them the full 2x4 bottom to run laps. If you locate the kitchen on the second level, we recommend a canopy of some sort over the top to encourage them to use it. It gives them a sense of security. Even if you use a towel draped over the top. You also may want a cafe kitchen (should be plenty big two girls because it's actually larger than a 1x2 loft) to help keep the bedding from being tracked down the ramp, but it's not necessary.

Attachment 79504
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2x4-wideoffset.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	79503  

7. "Thank you, CCcages, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

I think I'm gonna go with the offset 4x4 and if it doesn't work I can cut it down for a 1x2 kitchen. That way they still get the full 2x4 cage. Hopefully neither one will get too territorial. Right now the only thing they fight over is their hidy room, and that's sporadically. So fingers crossed.

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Good Luck! You could possibly add wider opening at the top of the loft to prevent territorial issues.

10. "Thank you, speedskating, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Good luck! Sometimes it's good to have 3 hideys. One for each and one they share. As long as they don't use up too much space.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Funny you should say that. They usually hang out in the hidey room together, but occasionally Victoria gets a wild hair and chases Widget out. Here she is looking a little dejected. I tried to get her with her chin resting on the little carrot car, but she moved. They also have a tunnel and an pigloo to use. They move these around and make their own race courses. Fun to watch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160502_131326.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	79511

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Awwww! so cute. She does look a little sad. I see that carrot car--is it all wood?

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CCcages View Post
    Awwww! so cute. She does look a little sad. I see that carrot car--is it all wood?
    Yep it's all wood. Don't remember where it came from.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Think the pics with the two adult pigs was the deciding factor. A 1x2 is definitely a little cramped. Thanks for the pics, I love your setup and Handsome Piggies too.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,569 Rec'd/1,289 Posts
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cleophauna View Post
    Think the pics with the two adult pigs was the deciding factor. A 1x2 is definitely a little cramped. Thanks for the pics, I love your setup and Handsome Piggies too.
    Yes, "a picture is worth a thousand words" pretty well describes it. Thanks for the compliment! Alas, Chester & Maya crossed over the Rainbow Bridge, but I now have two feisty boys that are so cute you just want to bite them! Hopefully, I'll have time to take some pics of them over the holiday weekend.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good luck with the kitchen remodeling

Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

The pics really show how much more sense having a 2 X 2 makes. Lovely setup

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160528_192314.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	79563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160528_192229.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	79564
    Well this is what I ended up with. They both seem to like it. Victoria had to re-arrange the corral in the loft. They both seem to be comfortable going up and down the ramp but still a little timid of it. I Bought them two new beds and put under the loft. They were a big hit. Victoria proceeded to flip one around, chew on it, laid down to test it the popcorned around it. They both seem really happy with the new set up. Still have to put up their Forrest, but enough for today. We'll do that tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,569 Rec'd/1,289 Posts
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)

Nice work! One other suggestion......you'll need to use the poster hanger pieces to cover the edges of the coroplast anywhere they can reach them.......specifically the ends of the ramp both upstairs and downstairs. They will soon discover how tempting those edges are and ruin your beautiful handiwork. Mine never bother the sides of the cage as they don't stand up against the sides to reach them.

I'm curious.....I see something that appears to be fasteners where the corners of the coro join? I hot glue mine but always like to know other creative methods.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    I'm curious.....I see something that appears to be fasteners where the corners of the coro join? I hot glue mine but always like to know other creative methods.
    They're Rivets. I went the lazy route and ordered the ramp, hay rack, corral, and base from Guinea Pig Cages Store. They do excellent work.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Update: The kitchen loft is a big success. The cage as a whole has stayed a lot cleaner, Victoria and Widget are running around like maniacs up and down the ramp and around the the bottom level. I've made some new liners for the loft and the corral which have worked out really great (posted in hot tips) and now I've got to get to work on getting their waterfall(?) maybe a forest cut and installed for them for their hidey room.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post

Just an FYI, I was looking for some rivets for my car and found the same rivets on Amazon today. Just do a search for nylon rivets and they should come up.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    43 Rec'd/38 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

The gp cages store (parent site) has "quick detach connectors" those are a life saver for me. We have a 2x4 with a 2x2 loft. I don't have the space to offset it (for now, once basement gets done, we may adopt another pair and do a herd with a ginormous cage), so it was such a pain to clean under. With the quick detach, the 2x2 loft has become a smaller space for the girls to go for cage cleaning. It lifts right off and I set it asside on the floor and then add the girls to clean the 2x4 base. It goes right back into place just as easily. I only mention in case you decide to go 2x5 with a 2x2 loft.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

25. "Thank you, PiggyGrandma15, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List