Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores PetSmart indigestible ingredients in Guinea Pig "safe" treats?!?!

fisch277

Cavy Slave
Has anyone seen this awful new brand covering all of the small animal shelves at PetSmarts? I went in today to get some Timothy Hay by Oxbow, and I was absolutely horrified at all the candy like treats... How can we get these taken off the shelves??

This is the ingredient list for the Frosted Donut Small Animal Treat: Ingredients:
Wheat Flour, Oatmeal, Whole Wheat Flour, Sucrose, Buckwheat Flour, Wheat Bran, Palm Oil, Dried Egg Powder, Peanut Butter, Cornstarch, Sodium Bicarbonate, Maltodextrin, Salt, Added Color (FD&C Yellow #5, FD&C Yellow #6, FD&C Red #40, FD&C Blue #1), Sodium Erythorbate (A Preservative), Mixed Tocopherols (A Preservative), Potassium Sorbate (A Preservative)

Here is the link to see what other delightful treats they have: (broken link removed)

13235394_10153932841885376_4164780393583030359_o.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You probably can't. They don't care about safety, just about their profits. And there are always people who will buy the stuff because they haven't done their research about what guinea pigs can and can't have.

But you could google up the address of the Petsmart CEO, write letters, and encourage others to do so. The more publicity you can bring to the issue, the better it would be.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
The best thing that you personally could do to limit the amount of profit this company makes would be to try and source your timothy hay elsewhere. (It can be hard, I know) But that's something to look into. Just don't put any money into a business you don't support.

CuddleWoozle

Cavy Gazer
Yeah, they make them look 'cute' and like yummy people food so that kids and other people will want to buy it for their pet so they can have their own 'donuts'. It's the same thing with those tube cages marketed for hamsters and gerbils, they're all pretty and colorful because that's what people like. The hamsters don't really care what color their cage is.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
It's like everything else, as long as there's a market for this crap, they will continue to make it unfortunately.:sad:

Jadyn

Cavy Slave
Can gp have wheat?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.