Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Unhappy Boars got into fight

Hello,

My two 5/6 month year old board got into a blood drawn fight. They have always had their normal bickering but I guess yesterday was the last straw in their relationship. I split up the fight and took care of their (minor) wounds immediately. I now have one (my oldest) in a seperate cage alone :-(. And the two other boars who get along in the other cage. I put the cages next to each other but I plan on getting a divider for the C&C cage (2x5) which is currently housing the other two boars.

Here's a little background information. The boar that is living alone currently had to he separated due to a fungal infection (vets orders) which I warnted just one day. On a previous thread I got advice stating it was not a good idea to seperate them initially. I reintroduced everyone on neutral grounds with no problem but once everyone was back inside the cage together, the two fought.

Now I've read some places that once the blood drawn fight has happened they will never make up and to never put them together. Other places I have read, you have to slowly rebond them and it is a possibility they will make-up.

I was wondering what I should do as to pairing, rebonding and living situation. Did this happen because I did not reintroduce/seperate them properly? Or was this just waiting to happen as I know it is common with boars?

Thank you,

-T

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Boars got into fight

Did you disinfect the cage and clean all bedding, toys, bottles, bowls etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. "Thank you, jazznut92, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Yes.

And I don't know if this makes a difference but their interaction when they see each other from cage to cage is showing their teeth, rumblestrutting, chattering and their fur standing straight up.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,341 Rec'd/1,698 Posts
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1004 Post(s)

It's harder to get 3 boars to live together peacefully. A 2x5 cage is too small for 3 boars. You can try to introduce them in the future, but you'd need to expand the cage. Either a 2x7 or 3x5 should work.

I used to have 3 boars living together. While they don't have major fights, I felt like there's always one that gets picked on by the other two.

I built another cage, and got him a friend.

6. "Thank you, lissie, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

User Tag List