Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quarantine Guinea Pig missing others

Tatyannalol

Cavy Slave
Hello,

My five month old boar recently got a fungal infection where I have to seperate him for 2 months away from the rest of the herd (at least) as told by the vet. I have him in a seperate cage in another room, but however he is quite upset and missing his pals. He is getting extra love and attention and more floor time to try and help with the temporary seperation. Is there any way to comfort him or calm his wheeking down so he doesn't feel so crummy?

Thank you,

-T

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's just me, but I wouldn't separate him. Yes, fungus is contagious, but if he was in a cage with others, they were undoubtedly exposed before you ever started treatment with him. As long as you're prepared to treat all of them if they get it (which they may not -- it's not that contagious), I'd put him back in with the others.

Tatyannalol

Cavy Slave
They're shipping me the medicine which is arriving in 2 days so he hasn't started treatment just yet. Do you think he should have medicine in his system before putting him back or just going ahead and doing it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can buy antifungal medicine at any pharmacy. What are they shipping you? And how are you supposed to give it to him?

Where on his body is the fungus? What symptoms does he have?

Tatyannalol

Cavy Slave
I was going to try Monostat 7 as I've heard that is helpful.

The fungal infection is on his nose, where it is scabby and slightly cracked. There is no apparent hair loss or excessive itching. He's sneezing as well. Other than that his eating habits and overall behavior are normal.

They are shipping us Itraconazole Suspension to take orally. I'll have all of the instructions once it arrives however.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I would not, repeat NOT, give him the oral itraconazole. It's very hard on even human systems, and it's almost certainly not necessary for what he's got.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html and get any of the creams that are mentioned in there. Apply sparingly with a q-tip, and rub it in well. Do this twice a day, and it should start to clear up in a few days. Even if it does, keep treating until you start seeing regrowth of hair. Fungus can be hard to clear up.

I'd put him back with the others now. Some people would disagree, but separated cavies don't do well without their buddies.

And I'm assuming this is not an exotic vet? Because I can't imagine an exotic vet prescribing oral antifungal for a small infection on the nose. You might want to look around for a better vet. Dog and cat vets get little to no education in caring for exotics, and the half day they do get covers everything from gerbils to giraffes.

Tatyannalol

Cavy Slave
Wow thank you so much! I'm really glad I posted and asked.

Actually it was an exotic vet, which is disappointing since the oral itraconazole is not necessary and hard on the system!

-T

pigger123

Cavy Slave
All four of my piggies got ringworm once (one of them had it on her nose just like you're describing), and the vet gave me an oral medicine. I don't remember what it was called, but I think it might have been what they're giving you. I didn't give my pigs the oral medicine at all. I used lotrimin twice a day just on the affected spots, and they were mostly cleared up after a few weeks. Some of them still had a little crustiness, so I used Gorgeous Guineas Kwench Lotion and it worked like magic. If your piggy was already with the herd, it won't do any good to separate them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.