Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/10 Posts

Just not friendly

I have two guinea pigs. One of them is the sweetest little guy you can imagine. He loves to be petted, lets me cut his nails no hassle, and so on. And then you have Olena. She doesn't let me pick her up, although if I just sit there with my hand in the cage she might come over and let me pet her a little bit. But cutting her nails is a two person job. I just overall get the feeling she doesn't like human contact. She's had the same treatment/affection and all that as Tyr, she just responds to it differently.
    Of course, if I have food in my hand she's willing to come over no problem but that's because she's a glutton.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    147 Rec'd/108 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Just not friendly

Honestly, she might just be like that. Piggies are like people; some of them just are kinda antisocial.

My one pig, Scarlet, is snuggly but a huge scaredy-pig. She is terrified of people, but once she's in your lap she'll snuggle up and be great.
    Hershey is the opposite. She's not scared at all, but she can't sit still and is always bouncing around on your lap. She doesn't like to be held.
    The new arrival, Bailey, isn't scared of people or noise in the slightest, and rarely uses her hidey. She's super snuggly.

Your piggy just might not like to be touched, and that's okay. If you'd like to get her to be more open to human contact, though, I have a few ideas.

- Hand feed all veggies. Bonus points if you're doing it during lap time. Associating human contact with food is super helpful.
    - Let her feel secure around you. When you're holding her, wrap her in a towel so she has shelter.
    - Play a TV or radio around the pig when you're not around so she gets used to human voices.
    - Do regular lap time. Fifteen minutes a day of holding should be good. Get her used to you, and she'll be less scared of you.
    - Floor time might help. I did floor time, like, twice, and IMMEDIATELY noticed both my pigs getting a TON more friendly. Not sure why, but heck. It helped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/181 Posts

Sounds like that's just a difference in personalities. Some pigs don't like to be picked up and petted, some do. I wouldn't take it as her saying she hates humans or that you are doing something wrong it's just a normal personality type for pigs

Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Quoted
    700 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,441 Rec'd/992 Posts

That's called just being a guinea pig. Just like people they all have different personalities. You can't judge one personality based on another's personality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/10 Posts

I guessed it was a personality thing, but I just wanted to make sure and that it wasn't a sign something might be wrong. ty everyone!

User Tag List