Thread: I made a mistake... ACCIDENTAL LITTER!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I made a mistake... ACCIDENTAL LITTER!

I would like to apologize. I should have listened to you and adopted from a rescue. It's my fault this happened and I feel terrible. I got a larger cage...I got another pig...I introduced them properly, but turns out "Misa" was misgendered and turned out to be male. Cookie is now pregnant. I'm sure of it. I need help. I don't know anything about guinea pig pregnancy. I don't know anything about breeding. This was an accident, and I need you guys to tell me everything you know about guinea pig pregnancy and birth. I'm getting Misa, renamed Milk, neutered either this month or next and will be keeping the parents, and depending on the size of the litter, the babies as well. Thank you all...I'll be listening to this forums advice from now on, as I should have from the beginning.

Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Re: I made a mistake... ACCIDENTAL LITTER!

I can't help on the pregnancy advice. Just a thought if you plan on keeping the babies, maybe hold off on neutering in case one of the babies is male too; dad and son could live together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

It's ok. I promise you that. My roommate's pig was from a pet store, as was mine. I have made that mistake too. It's hard to resist sometimes. Also, my roommate's guinea pig is pregnant as she was misgendered and kept in a cage with males and is a female, causing her to get pregnant really early in her life. I would say go to a vet and get her checked out and make sure that everything is alright with the pups and the mom. We are doing the same. They will give you more information on things to expect. Make sure you always keep food in the cage cause she is going to eat more now that she is sharing it with some babies. The mom will usually take care of everything involving the birth unless there is an issue so keep an emergency vet on standby just in case. Good luck to you.

Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

I would still go through with the neutering, the female can get pregnant again as soon as she gives birth, so... I' id try to set up another cage for the daddy pig and any eventual future boys

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,102 Rec'd/5,647 Posts
    Mentioned
    1997 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3686 Post(s)

I think she has two females, @Saylavi. The pregnant one got that way at the pet store, or before.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Don't worry. What do you want to know? It's kind of a 'got the T-Shirt' situation for me.

I also made the mistake of buying a guinea pig from a pet shop some time ago, before I knew any better. He has unfortunately passed away from an infection caused by the bacteria there. I won't make the same mistake again.

User Tag List