Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mounting Humping eachothers heads!

S3xy0ldBAG

Cavy Slave
I've got two 7 week old male siblings (confirmed male) who are basically going through puberty. Lots of rumble strutting and mounting going on.
The bigger boy, Titan, likes to hump his brother, Thor, on the head! He will leave his glue like semen on there as well and it's getting really gross xD
Thor is helpless and acts equally grossed out after the fact and it happens very fast so I can't prevent it.
I'm worried about Titan plugging up either Thor's nose or mouth. Is there anything I can do to deter this?
Or when will they stop this behavior?

In a side note, I do intend on neutering them. I have a very experienced vet and I believe that this will bebefit them in the future, plus if I cannot rehome the girls then I'd like to put them all in one large set up with zero chances of pregnancy.

Last edited:

S3xy0ldBAG

Cavy Slave
Thor is the one with the orange and a crest on his head.
Titan is the larger and more brown one.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
It is totally normal for them to hump each other every which way. Neutering them has no effect at all on their behaviour, it will not make them less dominant or aggressive like that in dogs. But if you're doing it to put them with the girls that's fine. I don't think Titan will plug up Thor's nose or mouth lol, be pretty unlucky if that happens. You can't really do anything about it, just gotta wait untill they settle down. A bigger cage ALWAYS helps though, especially with boys. The more space between them, the less encounters they will have with each other, the less likely they will clash. a 2x5 or 2x6 cage is the minimum for two males.

S3xy0ldBAG

Cavy Slave
I figured it is normal lol but I was hoping there would be away to deter it because I will go to give Thor a head kiss and then realize he has dried cum on his head bahaha!
I think my cage is 2×4 so it would be a bit small for two males.
I think the measurement system is by how many grates go accross, right?
Either way, I am planning on building onto the cage that they have now :) I think for a little while this will be fine since they are still pretty little, for now.
It's my first time owning males so I have a lot to learn about them, including how to do boar cleanings and when I need to start doing it. I heard that you don't have to start until they are 4-5 months old but Titans balls are getting huge so I can only imagine that he will need it much sooner than that lol

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You may not need to do boar cleanings for a long time. What you should do is check weekly when they're younger, to make sure they haven't gotten something stuck in the anal sac or the penis sheath. You only clean when necessary. Too much cleaning, too vigorously, can weaken the muscles of the anal sac and actually make impaction problems worse.

I'm pig-sitting an elderly boar right now, and he's only needed routine cleanings in the last year or so. Before then, it was just an occasional piece of hay in his penis sheath.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.