Thanks
    Thanks
    147 Rec'd/108 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

Question Bailey's rescue thread

Hey there! Some of you might remember me c: I've been inactive for a while, but I'm in need of help again.

I have two guinea pigs at the moment in a 2x4 cage. However, there will soon be a new arrival, and I'm not sure how to prepare.

***Warning ahead for descriptions of horrible animal care and injury. Do not read further if this will bother you.***

My dad's girlfriend has a guinea pig. I heard about this, and was excited because yay piggies!! Well...I saw her pig today, and oh god this poor animal.

Her nails were so overgrown and twisted that they were digging into her paws and swelling. Her water bottle was completely covered in brown goop inside, and she didn't eat any vegetables, hay, or good-quality pellets. She also lived in a pet-store cage with no shelters. She was tiny.

I've been introducing her to grass over the past few days, and I cleaned out her water and put a shoebox in the cage for her to hide under, as well as trimming her nails as best I could. They're still in terrible condition, as the quick hasn't receded yet, but I did my best.

Well, here comes the good news. I talked to my dad and his girlfriend, and they're letting me adopt the guinea pig. Thank god.

I've tried explaining to my dad and his gf why the guinea pig needs veggies/hay/etc., but she just doesn't seem to care. It seems like a situation in which they got a piggy and the novelty wore off, and now she's neglected. She did say that if I ever need to get rid of the pig to give her back, but I'll to my best to prevent that from happening. I don't ever want her going back there.

The soonest she can come over is Friday, and I'd like to prepare before then.

I'm planning on sexing her (to make sure she's a female) and starting her on a proper diet + weighing her daily. Anyway, here's my questions.

1. Do I have to quarantine her, because she hasn't been around other piggies in a really long time?
    2. Do I have to take her to the vet? I'm concerned about her nails/paws, but I'm not sure I can afford the vet. I'm sure I can scrape together enough to pay for a visit, but I'm a minor with no job and I'd be paying out of pocket, so I'd like to avoid unnecessary vet trips.
    3. What should I give her to eat? She'll get timothy hay and grass right away, but what veggies do I need to give her to fill her up w/ proper nutrients? She'll need to be gradually introduced to veggies, right?
    4. Can I drop her crappy pellets cold turkey, or do I need to gradually start her on timothy ones? Can I give her unlimited pellets to help her gain weight?
    5. Is there anything I can do to lessen the pain of her overgrown nails until the quick recedes?
    6. Is a 2x4 cage OK for 3 pigs? I don't think I can change the cage situation right now, as we're planning on moving soon-ish. I'd have a couple weeks to prepare before I plan on putting her with my piggies, so I can change it if absolutely necessary.
    7. Anything else you think I should know?

And, of course, pigtures will be provided as soon as she's in my care c: Look forward to them! Her name is Bailey.

Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Re: Unexpected new arrival...help us!

1) yes. 2 weeks please
    2) you don't need to but if anything seems off it may be a good idea, the piggy likely has overgrown teeth that will need filing or a vitamin deficiency, plus the vet may be able to cut the nails beyond the quick and stop them from bleeding out.
    3)Yes, gradually introduce her to veggies. I'd do green pepper first.
    4) drop them, maybe spend 1-2 days mixing if she doesn't wanna eat the good stuff, but only enough to let her know that this is food now.
    5) other than have the vet lob them off, or get her on super soft bedding, not really. You could rub coconut oil and vanilla extract (a natural painkiller) on her feet, but if she starts licking it then clean it off and no more, since real vanilla extract does have alcohol in it. Once you start cutting you can cut her nails every 2-4 days, since the quick will have shrunk back in that time. You can get up to 1mm each time, so assuming you need to cut back about 1cm that could take as long as a month.
    6) not really, but desperate times... Maybe you could make a 1x2 add on? Then there would be enough room. Or else keep them separate until you move.
    7) good luck, you're doing a good thing. There will probably be a couple bumps but I'm sure everything will be ok and I'm sure Bailey will be much happier with you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    147 Rec'd/108 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

Thank you very much for the info! I consulted with my mom, and she says that I can do a 1x2 add on, making the cage a 2x5. So yay! I'll have to resize their fleece and shower curtain, but meh. Doable.

Since I have to quarantine her (*sigh*) I'll keep her in my room, since it's the farthest room from my piggies. I'll put her on fleece with newspaper underneath so I can change it daily to prevent smell. I hate the smell of pigs so hopefully the 2 weeks will go very fast!! Haha.

Honestly, the last thing I wanted right now was more piggies. Mine have already been majorly stressing me out (Hershey is a living nightmare that does everything she can to make me miserable) but I just can't leave Bailey over there and feel good about myself. So. New pet. Yay.

Thanks for the good luck c:

4. "Thank you, Kenna18155, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    69 Rec'd/59 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

could you do towel under the fleece? it won't smell like newspaper will

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    147 Rec'd/108 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

Probably not. My mom would literally throw me out the window if I used her towels, and we don't have any old/ratty ones I could use. Plus, I'd rather not wash pig laundry daily...so it'd be easier just to switch fleece daily, toss paper daily, and wash all the fleece at the end of the week, I guess. (Do you get notifications from this post or do I have to tag you? I don't remember)

edit: also, on my original post, I meant I saw her pig the other day (Friday I think), not today. whoops.
    Last edited by Kenna18155; 05-10-16 at 08:16 pm.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    147 Rec'd/108 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

I was just thinking about the quarantine procedure...the piggy will be arriving in two days, so I'd like to have a solid plan. Does anyone know how far away the piggy will have to be? I'm not sure her cage will fit in my room, so I could put her in the living room, which is a couple rooms away from my pigs. Does there have to be a closed door in between them, or is it alright to just quarantine in a separate room?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,279 Rec'd/5,799 Posts
    Mentioned
    2035 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3845 Post(s)

The quarantined pig needs to be in another room to prevent airborne contamination.

I don't think you're going to be very happy with newspaper under fleece. A store such as Goodwill will have old mattress protectors for sale, and they make good absorbent layers under the fleece.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

You can get towels at Walmart for 3 dollars. That's what I do for my absorbent layer.

Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Or you could get some paper bedding (like carefresh)&nbsp;<br>what do you use for your normal piggies? Can you use some of that for your new girl?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    147 Rec'd/108 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    The quarantined pig needs to be in another room to prevent airborne contamination.

I don't think you're going to be very happy with newspaper under fleece. A store such as Goodwill will have old mattress protectors for sale, and they make good absorbent layers under the fleece.
    Gotcha, thanks. I'll keep her in my room for the two weeks, then.
    I used newspaper for my piggy when she was in her small cage, and I actually didn't mind it. I never understood why some people have issues with newspaper, it worked fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePigAlchemist View Post
    You can get towels at Walmart for 3 dollars. That's what I do for my absorbent layer.
    Thanks! I might be able to bum a few towels off my grandma if necessary, might just use my extra uHaul pad...

Quote Originally Posted by Saylavi View Post
    Or you could get some paper bedding (like carefresh)
    what do you use for your normal piggies? Can you use some of that for your new girl?
    I use fleece and uHaul for my pigs. Might be able to use some of that. Eh, we'll see, I'm not too concerned about it.

I've been working on cleaning out my piggy area so I'll have room to expand. Looking good so far, I got some of their stuff cleaned out and downsized.

Bailey should be arriving tomorrow -- I can't wait for her to be hereeee~

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Good luck to you with the new pig. I can't wait to see pictures. Thank you so much for saving her.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    147 Rec'd/108 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

Thank you @amanda_cake !

Bailey has arrived, and I cleaned out her cage (oh god it was horrific), switched her to fleece, and have started feeding her pellets and hay and grass. She nommed up my pellets as soon as I dumped them in her dish, so I don't need to bother mixing them with her old ones. I'm probably going to offer them in unlimited quantity until she bulks up a little, is this alright?

I weighed her, and she's a pound seven ounces. She can barely walk with her nails...she was so uncomfortable when I needed to pick her up to weigh her -- she rolled off my lap and flopped around on the floor because she couldn't stand up. Poor baby >.< I feel so bad for her

I'm giving her a little while to chill out, then on to nail trimming and sexing (if I can do so without hurting her, if not it can wait).

And, as promised...piGTURE TIME

14. "Thank you, Kenna18155, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,279 Rec'd/5,799 Posts
    Mentioned
    2035 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3845 Post(s)

Thank you for taking her in. I'm sure she's gonna be living the good life with you!

16. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

Poor girl. I'm sure she'll be ship shape in no time though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    147 Rec'd/108 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

Thank you! I didn't really want any more pets right now, but I just couldn't not take her in.

I did some nail clipping and made major progress. Most of her nails are black, so it's really difficult to find the quick. I was able to chop off lots of dead nail, but I accidentally nicked her on one nail She squeaked a little, and there was only a teensy bit of blood, but I still feel bad Overall it went well though! Lots of progress on the nails.

Here's some pictures I took before and during. The nails don't look TOO bad in the first picture, but her other paws are way worse... I'm concerned about the swelling, scabby areas on her front paws. There is one part that's blackened, you can't see it too great in the pic though. I'll try coconut oil, but does anyone have any other suggestions? They must be really painful >.<

Last edited by Kenna18155; 05-13-16 at 06:34 pm. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/21 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Oh, poor baby. God bless you for taking her in, even when the timing wasn't right. Bailey, the second chance pig, sounds like you've got a new owner who is going to do what's best for you, sweetie.

Thanks
    Thanks
    867 Rec'd/748 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

Hi Kenna, I remember you :-) Bailey is adorable, thank you so much for taking her out of those bad living conditions! I suspect a slightly bleeding quick on her nail is way less painful than having them grow into her feet (poor piggie, I shudder at the thought). Also if she's underweight (sounds like she is) unlimited pellets seems like a common sense move to me. Do you know how old Bailey is?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    147 Rec'd/108 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

@SavvyCavies Thank you <3 The second chance pig. I love that.
    @Rywen True, true! If this pig has taught me anything, it's to buckle down and take care of nail trimming. I'm always scared to do it and put it off, but I'll make sure to keep it under control now! She's definitely underweight. Unlimited pellets it is! She's apparently four years old, according to my dad's gf, but I'm not sure I'd trust anything they say.

She's currently snuggling up on my lap in a towel. I just checked her teeth, and miraculously they don't look overgrown at all. Look exactly like my pigs' teeth, and they get tons of hay and whatnot. Thank god her teeth are okay!

Also, I tried to sex her (him?) and surprisingly it was more difficult than sexing Scarlet's pups after she had them. Can anyone help?

If she-slash-he ends up being a male, I can always neuter. I'd rather not, being broke and all, but it's an option.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,279 Rec'd/5,799 Posts
    Mentioned
    2035 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3845 Post(s)

Looks male to me.

Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts