Thread: Washing Fleece - Using a netted bag?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Washing Fleece - Using a netted bag?

Kip and Chewy and I are moving back in with Boyfriend, who had to leave the state for a job (I finally found employment in his area, so yay!). The problem is we're going from using a personal washer/dryer to community washer/dryers. I want to be respectful of other folks living in the community and their laundry, so I am trying to figure out how to further minimize the amount of hay and hair that get left behind.

I'm welcoming ANY ideas on how to do this (I have read most of the relevant threaded convos and am looking at using Carefresh in our kitchen and some other options), but I seem to remember a thread from a year or so ago about using some sort of netted back when washing fleece, to catch the excess junk? Does anyone remember that thread, or know how to find it, or know what I'm talking about? I can't seem to find it now (and am not sure if it was a thread in this forum or on another site).

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,242 Rec'd/5,769 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3810 Post(s)

Re: Washing Fleece - Using a netted bag?

The ONLY two things I know of that will keep hair/hay from getting in the washer and dryer are 1) a completely sealed up pillow case, or 2) a completely sealed bag for washing horse tack. They're common in England, but not here. Mesh bags will corral some of it, but not all. I've tried a bunch of mesh bags, and haven't been happy with any of them.

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    691 Rec'd/597 Posts
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

I did buy two horse tack washing bags from a seller in the UK. I found them for sale on Ebay. They were somewhat expensive, but they work very well. I take my fleece outside and shake it thoroughly, then I place it in one of the bags. All of the leftover hay and hair gets left in the bag, instead of the washer. I then take the bag outside and just shake it out. I bought both a large and a small bag so I have two different sizes to use depending on what I'm laundering.

If you don't mind the expense, I really think they are worth it.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I usually buy squeegees and while the fleece is on the coroplast I brush the squeegee down them and the hay and hair usually pills up at the bottom leaving only a little bit of hay and hair on the fleece. I don't know if you already do this or if you don't have flippers but it's just a suggestion.

6. "Thank you, Chayna Renee, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

A rubber cleaning glove will also pull the hair up. And just so you know, I wash my fleece after beating it against a fence outside in a public washer, most of the hair catches to the area where the door opens and I use a clorox wipe to wipe those hairs up with.

8. "Thank you, lunarminx, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List