Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Washing Fleece - Using a netted bag?

adventuresof

Cavy Slave
Kip and Chewy and I are moving back in with Boyfriend, who had to leave the state for a job (I finally found employment in his area, so yay!). The problem is we're going from using a personal washer/dryer to community washer/dryers. I want to be respectful of other folks living in the community and their laundry, so I am trying to figure out how to further minimize the amount of hay and hair that get left behind.

I'm welcoming ANY ideas on how to do this (I have read most of the relevant threaded convos and am looking at using Carefresh in our kitchen and some other options), but I seem to remember a thread from a year or so ago about using some sort of netted back when washing fleece, to catch the excess junk? Does anyone remember that thread, or know how to find it, or know what I'm talking about? I can't seem to find it now (and am not sure if it was a thread in this forum or on another site).

Thanks in advance!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The ONLY two things I know of that will keep hair/hay from getting in the washer and dryer are 1) a completely sealed up pillow case, or 2) a completely sealed bag for washing horse tack. They're common in England, but not here. Mesh bags will corral some of it, but not all. I've tried a bunch of mesh bags, and haven't been happy with any of them.

Chayna Renee

Cavy Slave
I usually buy squeegees and while the fleece is on the coroplast I brush the squeegee down them and the hay and hair usually pills up at the bottom leaving only a little bit of hay and hair on the fleece. I don't know if you already do this or if you don't have flippers but it's just a suggestion.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
A rubber cleaning glove will also pull the hair up. And just so you know, I wash my fleece after beating it against a fence outside in a public washer, most of the hair catches to the area where the door opens and I use a clorox wipe to wipe those hairs up with.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.