Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Am i supposed to give my piggy a bath?

Jessie Bates

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I am a new piggy owner and i am wondering if i am supposed to give my piggy a bath or are they alright just cleaning themselves? My piggy is still skittish and i have a really hard time picking him up and holding him, im not sure how to bathe him or what products to use, am i also supposed to cut his nails myself or go see a vet for that? :?:

Thank you!

kimclifford10

Cavy Slave
Usually not, many piggies don't enjoy baths. You really only need to bathe them if they have mites or something, or if they get very dirty (peed on, have diarrhea, etc). They are very good about keeping themselves clean otherwise. However, if you have a long haired piggy, you may need to bathe them from time to time.

You can cut his nails yourself, just make sure don't quick him by mistake! I've found that the best way to avoid this is by doing frequent nail cuttings, usually at least a few times a month. I only take off the very ends of my pigs' nails to make sure I don't get the quick by accident. I have someone hold my pigs for me and feed them a nice big carrot while I cut the nails. That way they have a distraction while I'm clipping :cool:.

If you want, you could take him to a pig-savvy vet and have them show you how to cut his nails if you are not feeling comfortable yet!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Usually not, many piggies don't enjoy baths. You really only need to bathe them if they have mites or something, or if they get very dirty (peed on, have diarrhea, etc).

You're not supposed to bathe them if they have mites. Mites will burrow deeper into the skin, causing more problems.

kimclifford10

Cavy Slave
You're not supposed to bathe them if they have mites. Mites will burrow deeper into the skin, causing more problems.

I didn't know that! I can't remember where I heard that you were supposed to bathe for mites, good thing my pigs have never had them :eek:hmy: I would have felt terrible for making things worse

purpletulip4u

Cavy Slave
I haven't ever bathed mine. We've had them for over a year..this October it will be 2 years..I am very particular about keeping their fleece clean though. It is very hard on my washing machine since I do piggie laundry at least once a day..

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.