Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

"Why do you want guinea pigs?" - a question asked

I was wondering if anyone has been asked these type of questions by people who don't own guinea pigs...

1. Why do you want guinea pigs?

2. What kind of activities can you do with them?

There are a lot of dog owners out there, especially in my town, and it's kinda obvious what type of activities you can do with a dog.

What answers would you give to those 2 questions and have you ever been asked those questions before?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,283 Rec'd/5,802 Posts
    Mentioned
    2036 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3847 Post(s)

Re: "Why do you want guinea pigs?" - a question asked

1) Because they're cute and entertaining.

2) Feed them, trim their nails, cuddle them (if you're lucky). Some few people can train them. But if you're looking for a pet to do activities with, a guinea pig isn't it. Leashes are terrible for their backs, and they don't enjoy walks anyway. They don't play with you like a kitten or a puppy. My favorite thing to do with them is just to observe.

Yes, I've been asked those questions before.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

They're also very very stress-relieving. They make great comfort animals. Just watching the cage for five minutes and seeing them up to all sorts of mischief is better for me than trying much else.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

I don't get those questions too often, but my go-to answer on the rare occasion that they come up is that they keep me company and they're great TV-watching buddies. I also love to watch them in the cage. They were also great for me when I was in college because they didn't mind when I had to be out at the library all day, as long as I came home that night to feed them.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

To some people, taking care of them and their cage everyday seems like more work than fun. Aren't there other pets that are "cute and entertaining" that don't take up as much room? I've been asked that question too. They mention hamsters, fish, mice...even a hermit crab. I've never had a hamster or a hermit crab and don't know the first thing about them or their personalities?

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

I've had people mention that guinea pigs sound like too much work. For me, it's a labor of love and really isn't a big deal, but not everyone feels the same. I like guinea pigs in particular because I've had them since I was young and understand them much more than other caged animals. All animals have their ups and downs, and everyone has their own threshold of how much work is too much and what they expect to get out of an animal.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    55 Rec'd/46 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

I wanted them because I love to care for creatures and they were another that I wanted to care for. I quickly fell in love with their antics and personalities to though

Thanks
    Thanks
    221 Rec'd/184 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)

Because I enjoy giving all my money to furry little creatures who don't particularly seem to like me most of the time.

No seriously, they're better entertainment than tv will ever be.

Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

I got them because I enjoy having pets, I was on my last 2 show betta and decided to upgrade from fish to mammals. My piggies do cuddle me, but it took some "training" (forcing them to do so)

They stop you from getting too lonely, they sometimes appreciate you, they eat and squeak.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I like how they have a language all of their own with quite a volcabulary. It makes them more interesting than some animals. Also, I am disabled with a chronic illness which leaves me exhausted most of the time so a low energy pet is easier for me to keep up with. How much maintainance they need really depends on the size of their cage. Larger cages don't get dirty as fast as smaller cages.

11. "Thank you, PigandDogMom, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    90 Rec'd/79 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

My dad asked question number one as "Why do you want rats?" because all rodents are rats to an old farm boy. He still doesn't understand why I like my guinea pigs, except Rose who is "the personable one." I love just watching my pigs. They have such ridiculous personalities and are smarter than a lot of people think.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I just love reading all of these! Brings a big smile to my face

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,571 Rec'd/1,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1160 Post(s)

I've learned one guiding principle about owning cavies: it is pointless to try to explain to most folks why you love guinea pigs......their eyes immediately glaze over. Even other pet owners will roll their eyes, and yet they will talk for hours about their show toy poodle.

I have had cavies on/off for 30 years (more off than on). In 2011 my husband/partner and I decided that we wanted a pet. He's allergic to cats and I don't like the smell of dogs, especially having them in the house. And, we were clear that we wanted an animal who could sit in our lap to be pet/petted. And, we wanted a pet that we didn't have to walk in the cold New England winters. So, we set off to look at ferrets, chins, and cavies. Neither of us wanted a ferret, chins live so long that we wondered what we'd do if we didn't like them, and Gary was amenable to considering cavies. We were unaware that a rabbit was another option.

On Valentine's Day 2011, I came home from a day of teaching and found two gorgeous little Aby boys complete with cage and all accessories. They both are gone now and we currently have two 6 mo. old Aby boys again. We had a lovely Texel sow in the mix at one time, but she sadly passed away last November.

My Chester was just the perfect pet for me. He was smart, athletic, expressive, and totally bonded to me. He was the greatest big brother Maya could have asked for. He really helped me get through a tough couple of years with his unconditional love and being a comfort animal for me. When he died, I was so grief stricken that I couldn't look into the empty cage......and that cage sits next to my desk in my small home office.

I set out to find a pair of Aby sows to adopt, but came home with a pair of boars instead. I once swore that I would never again have a pair of adolescent boars and live with their going through puberty. So much for that......here I am.

It is such an individual preference......why do some things/animals/people resonate with us and others don't? As a child I lived in the country and had just about every type of pet one can imagine......chickens, ducks, rabbits, flying squirrels, birds, fish, turtles, cats, pigs, etc. I learned that I'm a tactile person and love furry creatures that I can have physical contact with.

Why guinea pigs? I'm not sure I can explain that unless I'm talking with another guinea pig lover. Nevertheless, I still try to explain/educate others about the unique and special creatures that I love. Simply put......they make me happy.

Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Because there’s nothing better than coming home after a bad day at work and being greeted by excited wheeking. Which sure is mostly for their evening salad than for me, but it’s still my favorite part of the day.

Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PigandDogMom View Post
    I like how they have a language all of their own with quite a volcabulary. It makes them more interesting than some animals. Also, I am disabled with a chronic illness which leaves me exhausted most of the time so a low energy pet is easier for me to keep up with. How much maintainance they need really depends on the size of their cage. Larger cages don't get dirty as fast as smaller cages.
    I love to hear my piggies do the "woot woot woot"

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I wanted a "low maintenance" companion for my two daughters. Something I wouldn't have to take for walks or clean up firball messes. I wanted something for my daughters to adore, and teach responsibility. I had been a dog owner my whole life. I did my research and decided to try a cavy on the recommendation of a good friend. I'm so very glad I did. We ended up with two sows, who are so sweet. We are taming them, they naturally cuddle and purr for us, and we love listening to them talk. We call them our therapigs.....and we can't wait to watch them grow up with our family. Our piggies have a lot to say, it's free entertainment! Cleaning our cage is a labor of love, and my daughters have a positive place to channel their energy into.

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)

My favorite part is watching them sleep. Melts my heart when they curl up or kick out their cute little feet. I also enjoy the cuddles. Plus they crack me up when it's feeding time and they run around like crazy pigs. Have you ever noticed how their ears wiggle when they give hearty wheeks?! I just love them to bits
    Using Tapatalk

User Tag List