Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Storage Areas Hay storage/rack in one!

librarychick

Cavy Slave
I see a lot of people posting about how to manage a hayrack/pile/kitchen. So I thought I'd share my newest solution.

When I still had Francine and Molly divided I was giving them each a hay pile in a litter box with carefresh at the bottom. That worked well, but the hay was just going everywhere - mostly when I moved it from the bin I store it in to the hay piles.

I buy alfalfa hay from local farmers, it's MUCH cheaper and I've gotten much better (and fresher) hay than if I buy from the pet stores. I looked into shipping but it'd cost a small fortune to ship 1/4 of the amount of hay to Canada...AND the hay itself is way more expensive even before shipping costs. I can buy a bale of amazing alfalfa or orchard hay for $7 a bale. It lasts me easily 6-8 months, and I can store the extra in the shed.

Anyways, when I put the girls together (including proper intro ;) ) I decided I'd add some extra shelving for myself next to the cage. The girls are in my craft/plant room (one of our only cat-free areas, and therefore safe for the piggies) but I've well overflowed my previous storage.

So I used the storage cubes to build a shelf, and had a brilliant idea. I used leftover bits of coroplast to build a little hay area right next to the cage. It holds 2 flakes of hay, so I hardly have to fill it, just fluff the hay so it's pressed against that end of the cage! I still have two litter boxes in there, and I pull out a little pile of hay for each - so Molly can burrow to her little hearts content - but there's been FAR less waste and much less hay mess everywhere the past 2 weeks. I LOVE it.

Here's some pics so you can see what I did :). Sorry no pig pictures, but they're both convinced my phone is going to eat them...

Inside the cage view - just filled hay storage area and hay pile.
https://s131.photobucket.com/user/l...nea Pigs/20160502_194502_zpsj8td7mtm.jpg.html

Front the front
https://s131.photobucket.com/user/l...nea Pigs/20160502_194515_zps0pryy9hj.jpg.html

With the door off- it's held in place by these cool spring clips I found at the dollar store usually. It just slots right in. You can also get a better view of the shelf above the cage , storage shelf at the side, and my piles of craft junk ;)
https://s131.photobucket.com/user/l...nea Pigs/20160502_194557_zpslok2s7ct.jpg.html

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
That's a good idea! I may try this. Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@librarychick, adult guinea pigs should NOT have alfalfa hay. GPs of all ages need a long strand grass hay -- timothy, meadow, orchard, blue, brome. Alfalfa is a legume, like peas, not a grass. It's very high in calcium. What you're saving in hay costs, you'll likely be paying out to a vet for bladder stone surgery or dental work if you keep feeding them alfalfa.

librarychick

Cavy Slave
Dangit, I keep getting them mixed - sorry it IS timothy I always have to write it down before I call the farmers because I get the two switched as to which adults are supposed to have and which babies should have. My mistake.

PiggyPrints

Cavy Slave
Looks great! Are you worried about the hay seeping the bottom?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

librarychick

Cavy Slave
Seeping through onto the storage area you mean? Nope- it's in a coroplast box - the only open side is facing the piggy cage.

pouty

Cavy Slave
That's such a good idea but my piggies would just sit and poop in it

librarychick

Cavy Slave
That's such a good idea but my piggies would just sit and poop in it

They can't get into the storage area to poop in it- there's a grid between them and it. The litter box is there for them to sit in and poop to their little heart's content ;) They can get all the hay they want by pulling it through the grids, but can only soil a certain amount per day. It's working perfectly for me :)

pouty

Cavy Slave
They can't get into the storage area to poop in it- there's a grid between them and it. The litter box is there for them to sit in and poop to their little heart's content ;) They can get all the hay they want by pulling it through the grids, but can only soil a certain amount per day. It's working perfectly for me :)

oh yes I see now!! I think I might copy you. My piggies go through hay like crazy. I always get home from 12 hour shifts and they're like "FEEEEED US MAMA :"("

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I really like this idea. Unfortunately, my pigs would pull all of that hay into the main cage and pee all over it. They love playing in their hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.