Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) How many hours/miles is reasonable to drive to pick up 2 bonded sows?

2Ellen

Cavy Slave
Hi :)

I am new here (I'm waiting to make a formal introduction when I have a pair of guineas and pics). I live on the Oregon coast where there are no shelters or rescues that take in guinea pigs. I did however find a local Vet who specializes in exotic pets so that is comforting!

There is one rescue in Portland which is 4 hours away which makes it an 8 hour round trip. Recently, I found a Craigslist ad and she is re-homing her 2 bonded female piggies originally bought at the pet store. The catch is she is 3 hours away, 6 hours round trip. I've texted with her and she's also written me an email including lots of pics. The sows are roughly 6 months old, very cute, and come with a 2x4 C&C cage, fleece liners w/Uhaul pads sewn between, 2 water bottles, hay rack, feeding dishes, igloo, hay, food, and other accessories. She also constructed a cage stand made out of grids to lift the cage off the ground. She's asking $100 for everything.

She said she is sure they are females and I've been clear with her that I am not ready for pups. I used to own a guinea pig years ago before the internet and did not know much about them then. She seems to know about guineas - fruits/veggies they like, floor time, nail trimming, lap time. Her reason for re-homing is her daughter and her have allergies from the hair and hair.

My question is...would you drive 3 hours one way to meet them? One is a short haired, black and white, and the other is all white, long haired. Also, do you think having one that is long haired would be too much to take on since this will be my first pair?

Reason for edit: Just noticed my "join date" was Feb 12, 2015 but was unable to find an adoptable pair at that time so I took a break from looking until recently.

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
I don't think that's unreasonable. It's up to you. I'd drive that many hours for a pet. I don't think it being long haired will be too much for you.

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
To be honest, an 8-hour round-trip drive isn't that bad for me. But it really depends on how you feel about it (I also drive a stick shift sports car, so I don't get drowsy, either ;)). Maybe check out a few places that you can hang out and de-compress before driving back. Or ask if the owner could schedule a lunch so that you can just chill out for a bit. Worst comes to worse, go there a day early, book a hotel, then meet them the next day and drive them home. There are many ways you can split the drive so it's not too terrible.

I suggest you ask the owner to share more pictures of the two, maybe some videos. I'm sure she'd understand that if you're about to make such a long trip you want to be as sure as possible that you'll enjoy them.

2Ellen

Cavy Slave
Good ideas onefuti2e. I'll try to reach her and see if she wouldn't mind sending me a video of them. I'm a bit worried (paranoid?) that I'll get a mixed pair but if she has had them for 3 months already, and no word of pups, perhaps she is being truthful with me that they are females?

2Ellen

Cavy Slave
Pups from a breeder?

Hi :)

Earlier I posted a question about how many miles/hours would you travel to meet a pair of bonded cavies. As I mentioned in that post, I live on the Oregon coast and the closest guinea pig rescue is an 8 hour round trip and there aren't any bonded pairs available in the couple of shelters that sometimes has a few (4 hour round trip drive). I'm awaiting word from the Craigslist owner I've been exchanging emails/texts with today. It would be a 6 hour round trip to meet her 6 month old bonded pair of sows.

I just heard from a local Vet tech that she knows of a guinea pig breeder who might have a litter of pups. Both of them are involved with 4H and are a much closer drive for me...30 minutes. 4H is very popular here.

I've never had a pair of cavies, much less a pair of 3-4 week old pups. Do you think I should consider visiting the breeder if she has a pair of pups available? I know how some frown on breeders but my resources are very limited here on the coast. Or should I seek out an older pair, like these 6 month old sows? I really don't know which direction to go so if you could give me some insight, it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Pups from a breeder?

I wouldn't take them. I'm not a big fan of 4-H breeding. It once had a place when America was mostly rural and 4-H kids were working with farm animals, but there's no need for breeding guinea pigs. Pregnancy is very hard on both sows and pups, and the death rate is high. You also won't know whether the kids who bred these animals know anything about lethal white syndrome or osteodystrophy. One results in blind, deaf pups with immature digestive systems that need lifelong care, the other in a painful, incurable bone/joint disease.

I didn't see your earlier post, but I've done 5+ hours each way to get a reputable rescue. The last trip turned out to be 13 hours of driving because of traffic problems. If it were me, I'd either go to a rescue or shelter, or find some on Craiglist or a similar listing service.

2Ellen

Cavy Slave
Countless families here own acres of land and many who do are farmers. I don't know how old the breeder is or how many litters she has had. I do know the Vet Tech is in her 40's - we talked on the phone last week. She is supposed to let me know what she finds out at tonight's 4H meeting. There is only 1 rescue in OR. - in Portland, 8 hr. round trip drive. I've looked on Craigslist, Petfinder, Kijiji and only had luck with one female pair that I felt like the owner knew what she is talking about and how to take care of them. She is a 6 hour round trip drive.

The Vet tech did say how many times they've seen mis-sexed piggies in for wellness exams and cautioned me about how some of the owners did buy them off of Craigslist thinking they were a same-sex pair. Maybe she made me a bit paranoid trusting a Craigslister knows how to sex them? I don't know. Thanks bpatters for the insight on problems pups can have.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
You could always ask for a nice clear and close pictures of their genitalia from the owner so you can confirm yourself before making the trip that they are indeed both girls.

I would also like to point out, even if you buy from a breeder there is a chance they could be missexed, there is also a chance that if the boys weren't separated at three weeks that any girls could already be pregnant.

Given the description of the craigslist re-homer, I would go with them personally.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you get a pair, before you take them, turn them both over and compare the pertinent parts. If they don't look the same, they're not the same sex.

pouty

Cavy Slave
I would drive 6-8 hours round trip. They're bonded and seem to be really well taken care of. And she's always someone you can ask questions to since she knows her piggies well. It's entirely up to you !! If you decide to adopt them, find a way to verify their gender beforehand. You could ask her for pictures and I'm sure someone here would be able to help you figure out their genders. Good luck.

2Ellen

Cavy Slave
I have asked for a video of the girls and she said she would do it for me tomorrow. I will ask her for a pic of their genitalia to put my mind at ease. She mentioned her and her daughter's allergies to the food and hair (one is a semi- long haired sow) but then soon after said she wasn't in any hurry to sell them and wouldn't mind if it took time. Does that sound like mix signals to you?

Update: I re-read the email the Vet tech sent me and I was mistaken. She said she knows of a fellow 4H member whose guinea pig just had pups. NOT a breeder. The word "Breeder" came into play when she mentioned I could always go to a local breeder for questions and be shown how to sex them. That makes me feel better knowing the specific pups she was referring to wasn't an act of deliberate breeding.

I haven't had a pair of pups before, and do like the idea of them being so young from the start that they would get used to me and I to them. Is that a good way to go?

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
Can't comment on the second part of your post.

I think it's normal to want to give them away for certain reasons but then not be in a rush. I was in a similar situation a few years ago; I was renovating my house and moving into a temporary space for 5 months that was really small. I was also sharing it with my mom and sister, one who had mild allergies to their hay and another that just didn't like them. So I gave them away, but I also wasn't in a rush. The couple that ended up adopting the pair spent 3-4 weeks talking to me, sharing e-mails, pictures of their apartment, etc. before I dropped them off.

However, keep in mind you're under the mercy of the giver here. In my case, I was deliberately very selective in who I gave them away to (partly because a part of me really wanted to keep them). It was only after the couple convinced me that they not only met my standard of care but exceeded it that I was comfortable giving them away. As the process unfolded, I began turning down other applicants when it became very clear I'd be giving them up to them. For all you know, the person 3 hours away may wait and hold them for you, may interview other candidates, or simply be taking a "first come first serve" approach.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
I think for everything you get and the health of the pigs, if she has taken care of them as well as they said, then i would go for it.

librarychick

Cavy Slave
I think you're the only one who can figure out what's reasonable travel time for picking up pigs.

For me anything over 1 hour each way is completely out of the realm of reasonable - I work full time, have a business, have many hobbies and little free time, and can't afford the gas to do extra driving. Also, my BF doesn't drive - so I'd be committing to driving (likely by myself, since he gets car sick on long trips) the full time by myself, and I'd probably have to do it in one day due to money/time constraints. So for me, it wouldn't be feasible.

But, everyone's situation is different. If you feel you have the time, can spare the cost, and are drawn to these girls then I say go for it.

As far as which set you pick...you'll love them either way ;) So, take a few minutes and really sit down and think about it. Look at their pictures, look over your conversations with both owners, and decide what you can do, and what you're preference is.

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
Agreed, do what's best for you. If you pick the best decision YOU want, you'll treat the pigs the best, hands down. I personally have a special place in my heart for re-homing pigs for some reason, so that'd be what I choose. Plus, I like how I make good friends with the people who I adopt from or to. So that's a plus for me. But it all depends on you. If you think you'll be happier with the pups, then take them.

2Ellen

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I'm definitely going to go the route best for me and I'll just keep doing more research and talking to others to find out the right direction.

2Ellen

Cavy Slave
Well it didn't work out with the 6 month old pair or the pups.

3 days ago I asked if it would be too much trouble to send me a short video of the girls interacting with each other and during floor time. The owner said sure, no problem and would have it to me that night. The next morning she texts me and apologizes that she couldn't get to it because things are crazy hectic at her home during the week. (this has me wondering just how much attention these 2 girls are really getting). So late yesterday she says the video she took won't go through to my email inbox and that she's finding it difficult to hold onto each piggie and snap a pic because both she and them are getting frustrated. (I'm not sure why her daughters and husband can't help with this since she did say they handle the pigs for lap time) So no pics. In the same breath, she goes on to say that I am not the right fit for her piggies.

What??? I have no idea where she came up with that evaluation. I really thought with my questions and our texting back and forth for days, she was fine with me meeting her piggies. When I requested the video, she didn't seem put off by it. Oh well. Not to be I guess. Do you know why an owner would all of a sudden act that way?

The local pups are a no-go. Long story.

Back to the "drawing board" so to speak...

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
Pure speculation on my part, but she may have just decided you were more trouble than it was worth and didn't want to deal with you, or she found another adopter who's either closer and less demanding.

Either way, just thank you for her time and if you want, say that you hope you weren't causing too much inconvenience, but you wanted to make sure you wanted the pair before you made the 6-hour drive. That way, you add a bit more guilt trip lol. But be polite is the main point here.

2Ellen

Cavy Slave
I haven't replied back to her but did find that her Craigslist ad is still up. I understand it's difficult to download a video to an email address but it was a bit weird to hear she was trying to hold the pig at the same time trying to get a picture of them. I have been told that her daughter's help with the care of the piggies so not sure why they couldn't help her with a quick pic. I'm not mad...just a bit disappointed. That's life though! lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.