Thread: What Did Your Piggies Have For Breakfast Today?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Smile What Did Your Piggies Have For Breakfast Today?

I'd like to hear what your cavies had for breakfast, just for fun! My girls are a little picky, I don't think that their previous owners have ever given them veggies before, but they had a little bit of bell pepper to start out with. :)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    43 Rec'd/38 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

Re: What Did Your Piggies Have For Breakfast Today?

Our girls get 3 meals a day!

2 lettuce leaves and a mini bell pepper for breakfast.

Pellets for lunch

Another mini bell pepper and either lettuce or some other treat of change with veggies for dinner.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Bell peppers makes a first veggie! Did your girls enjoy them?

My three girls also came from a home where they were only fed pellets and hay.

Silly babies were so confused and refused to eat any fresh veggies but carrots. They would sit on top or hide underneath lettuce leaves. Because they weren't used to veggies, they got squishy/sticky poo. I went to the vet and read the thread "How to teach your guinea pig to eat vegatables". Then, I'd slowly increased their veggie intake from 1 small portion of lettuce (about 2 x 2 inch square) and 1 slender piece of bell pepper (about 0.5 x 2 inch) per day. All diced and mixed with pellets. Now, they still aren't quite adjusted but their tummies and appetites are so much better.

Today for breakfast, my three girly kids slaughtered:
    - pellets (1/2 serving for breakfast and 1/2 serving for dinner)
    - 1/2 a mini yellow bell pepper
    - 1 cilantro sprig each
    - 1/2 a leaf of red lettuce
    Last edited by heavengirl1390; 05-16-16 at 02:41 pm. Reason: Grammar mistakes

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

Six mini peppers, 6 mini carrots and a bunch of lettuce. I normally break the mini peppers in half and I do not worry about seeding them. Naturally for 6 pigs.

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

My piggis have romaine lettuce, bell pepper, cucumber and cilanto every morning. About once a week I give them some fruit as a treat. I split their pellets in half so they get half in the morning and half at night.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

My girls had romaine lettuce, baby carrots and bell peppers. They don't seem interested in cucumbers, tomatoes or fruit yet. But they sure love their carrots!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

7. "Thank you, FionaMae, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,560 Rec'd/1,284 Posts
    Mentioned
    598 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1154 Post(s)

Pellets and hay!

From my experience, feeding your cavies a salad more than once a day sets you up to be a slave to them. My dearly departed pair were so spoiled that they really didn't eat much pellets and hay and as a consequence, Chester developed severe dental problems and Maya developed a bladder stone. Now, of course, these could have been the result of genetic abnormalities, but I'm sure that the lack of hay in his diet was a major contribution to Chester's dental issues.

When I got my current little boys, they were four and six weeks old and had never had any veggies except an occasional carrot. We saw that this was an opportunity to break the cycle of our slavery in that if we went away, we had to find someone who would feed them twice a day.......not an easy task. You may think, "well, if they get hungry they will eat pellets and hay". That didn't hold true with Chester.......he would simply not eat and literally drop weight overnight.

We found a schedule that works for the boys and for us. We feed a salad once a day, usually around 4:30 or 5:00pm when they seem to be the most hungry. I don't restrict pellets, so they have their hay and pellets available 24/7. I choose to do this because they are in their prime growth spurt and seem to need the nutrition. They don't appear to overeat and I'm comfortable with the feeding schedule.

Cavies have individual preferences much as we humans do and we just have to find what works for each of us.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I gave mine 3 leaves of romaine lettuce, half a yellow bell pepper, 3 grape tomatoes, and half a banana. Then their pellets and a big handful of hay.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,242 Rec'd/5,769 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3810 Post(s)

@CourtsCritters, bananas can really do a number on a guinea pig's digestive tract. It should be given in very small quantities only occasionally.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

A handful of spring mix, a baby carrot each, and some cut up bell pepper in addition to their pellets and hay. I only feed them pellets once a day. I repeat the veggies again at night before bed. Once or twice a week they get fruit, although they don't really seem to care for it and I end up throwing it away. They also don't really care for cucumbers, tomatoes, or any other pepper aside from bell. They'll nibble at the rest, but never eat it all.

Carrots however they love. Despite having two bowls and their own carrot, they still fight over the one. Silly piggies.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    @CourtsCritters, bananas can really do a number on a guinea pig's digestive tract. It should be given in very small quantities only occasionally.
    Don't worry I've read up on it. They are getting half a banana split between 5 piggies... and I only give it to them once a week.

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Mine get lunch and dinner, since I'm often having to rush out the door a bit first thing in the morning.

For their 'brunch' though, they get pellets. I put a little bit in two bowls, because one of mine has a tendency to hog food and the other isn't brave enough to stop her. But, two bowls work well from what I've seen. Then when I make dinner, I also make up some veggie mix. Tonight my plan is romaine lettuce (grown in a friend's garden), half a sliced bell pepper, and a little bit of cucumber and carrot as a treat. Those go between two bowls as well.

User Tag List