Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

In Heat Can someone help me determine if my piggie is pregnant?

Kayla Stelly

Cavy Gazer
We've had two female piggies for almost 2 months now, both are females. Recently Peri, my biggest pig, has been gaining a little weight recently and eating and drinking much more than she normally would. When you hold her up, the left side of her tummy pokes out as if something is there. She hated being held now when she used to love it, as well. She chews on everything in the cage, too. I don't know if she's pregnant or not and its getting me worried. Help?

Attachments

image.jpg

katkor03

Cavy Slave
Can you take a picture of her not being held? Just standing by herself?

katkor03

Cavy Slave
She does look preggers from the picture though.

PigandDogMom

Cavy Gazer
You should be finding out soon. The gestation period for guinea pigs is 58 to 73 days. Just make sure she is getting enough to eat. Is she a younger pig? Guinea pig pups are large, and an older pig sometimes has trouble squeezing the pups out if her pelvic bones have become too rigid.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm on my phone and can't copy the link, but look in the pregnancy (under medical forum). There's a sticky at the top that helps you determine pregnancy.

Fay

Cavy Slave
I did have a pig that was distinctly pear shaped which made her look pregnant even though she wasn't but she could also just be pregnant. I would triple check the gender of both your pigs just to make sure they are the same sex. Here are a couple of pages to help you do so. If you're struggling to determine their gender you can also post clear, well-lit, up close pictures of their genitals here so we can help you confirm.

https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm
(broken link removed)

If one of them is male you will want to separate them to avoid back-to-back pregnancies which are extremely hard on female sows. Also, here is that link bpatters mentioned:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she

S3xy0ldBAG

Cavy Slave
That bulge on her side looks like a baby is sitting there. I'd avoid holding her like that until you confirm if she is not.
Otherwise if she is it can hurt or kill the baby.
If you have to pick her up, support her butt and her chest at the same time to avoid hurting the pups.

S3xy0ldBAG

Cavy Slave
Also, watch carefully for movement. She is getting to the gestational age, if she's pregnant, that the babies will be moving around a lot.
If you spend lots of time with her then you might be able to pin point when she is due but it is unbelievably difficult and frustrating to do since she will not show any signs until immediately before delivery lol
I have had the poor luck of adopting two pregnant pigs at different times. The first one had a still born and the second had 3 healthy babies who I still have currently.
When she was about to pop she stayed in her house more and didn't eat her hay and alfalfa, just veggies.
I sat and I could hear the babies grinding their teeth.
It is very muffled sounding and it took me a while to realize it was coming from her belly lol
Anyways, I wish you good luck! ^_^

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
Maybe you should have a very close look at the other piggys genitals and be sure they are not a boy.

daisyerikabeau

Cavy Gazer
Did she turn out to be pregnant?
Just curious :p

Lauren Oliver

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I just wanted to add a photo of my Guinea pig Treacle who I think is pregnant.

She was sexed wrong and was put with males at the breeders I got her 6 weeks ago yesterday and she's been separated from her brother, Truffle, for about 5 weeks and 4 days (since I realised she's female and caught him on her)

This is a photo of her today and it really looks like she's starting to get bumps but I wanted to post on here to see what other people with more experience think?

Thanks
344949987e27c921d4586cdc93763e6a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.