Thanks
    Thanks
    552 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Any green hay this year??

My normal go to's are awful this year. KMS bluegrass is mostly yellow and brown and Small Pet Select is not as much long grass at all and tons of browns. Lots of pieces too. Very disappointing. Anyone find a vender who has better hay than this??

Thanks
    Thanks
    512 Rec'd/413 Posts
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Quoted
    212 Post(s)

Re: Any green hay this year??

My last few 50 pound boxes with Oxbow have been decently nice. The Timothy is a little harder than my liking, but definitely still edible for the pigs.

I just picked up a new box of Orchard Grass last week and it is exactly how I like it; very soft, green and fragrant.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    69 Rec'd/59 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

I got a 9 pound bale of oxbow pretty recently that's really green and nice

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,255 Rec'd/5,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3820 Post(s)

My last SPS was fine.

5. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    221 Rec'd/184 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)

My Oxbow has been good all year, until this last box. I am very disappointed with the quality of the box I received on Monday. It's brown and in tiny pieces. I feel like I could have gotten the same quality hay for much cheaper at Tractor Supply.

Thanks
    Thanks
    691 Rec'd/597 Posts
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

I purchased a 15# bag of Oxbow Orchard Hay at my local ranch supply store and it was gorgeous hay. I usually purchase only KMS Bluegrass Hay from KMS, however, my last box was not the usual good quality. I wonder if it just a bad year for hay around the Pacific Northwest. I know both KMS and Small Pet Select come from this area.

Thanks
    Thanks
    867 Rec'd/748 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

The KMS 3rd cut Timothy I bought in March is awesome.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    47 Rec'd/39 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

You're close to San Jose, right?
    If you're open to orchard grass hay, I have a suggestion. Check out the orchard grass hay at Andy's Pet SHop at 51 Notre Dame Ave in San Jose. They get their orchard grass hay from San's Downtown Feeds in San Jose, which is one of the two hay dealers that I use for the rescue. Andy's Pet Shop sells it in flakes, which is roughly 5-7 pounds at $1/pound. About 80% of the time, the orchard grass is awesome. It's sold in open top bags so you can actually examine it closely to see if it's what you want. If it happens to not be good, then you can check out the Oxbow hays that they carry, which cost more. At times the orchard grass hay is so good that piggies stop eating their veggies and move over to the new hay that I put in.

But I know how your piggy loves timothy seed heads, so she may not like orchard grass.

10. "Thank you, CavyHouse, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

@CavyHouse I was just looking at your rescue site

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,566 Rec'd/1,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    600 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1154 Post(s)

I too am looking for a new supplier. I am so disgusted with KMS after receiving what they called fragrant and green in last year's harvest! It was/is nowhere near their hay of previous years with much of it being crumbling, brown, and dusty........all 65 pounds of it! When I sent pictures and complained about the quality, I received a reply that it appears acceptable to them. They offered to send me a 25lb box as a replacement, but it was poor quality as well.

My husband is highly allergic to timothy hay so that is out of the question. My cavies are fine with Orchard Grass and so is my husband.

I'd love to find another source of hay before the Fall harvest to replace my current brown stock. If anyone has ordered hay recently, then please post your source.

Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

My 50lb box of Oxbow orchard grass is soft and green, but it's all in choppy little pieces with quite a bit of dust. The pigs don't seem to mind but it makes more of a mess and it's wasting more. I'm not very impressed with KMS at this point, so I think I might switch to Small Pet Select next time. I might even get a bale from the barn I ride at if I can find a really nice one. A lot of the horse hay they've gotten lately is almost like straw, but there were a couple of soft green ones. I guess it wasn't a great year for hay.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I have tried SmallPetSelect and was not impressed at all with the quality and KMS costs too much to ship to where I live, not really sure why that is as I live in NY but either way. Check out http://www.petfooddirect.com I buy my Oxbow from them and never had any issues at all, you get free shipping on orders more than $50 also with the discount code shipfree. They even sell a lot of other cool Oxbow products cheaper than I have seen anywhere else https://www.petfooddirect.com/sitesearch?w=oxbow

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

The SPS 3rd cut I got last month was fine, there is a little brown but not as much as KMS has in their's the last time I got it from them. Mine will only eat Timothy Hay, I bought a small bag of orchard grass and they wouldn't eat it. i am wondering if they only had that, if they would eat if after a few days.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    552 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CavyHouse View Post
    You're close to San Jose, right?
    If you're open to orchard grass hay, I have a suggestion. Check out the orchard grass hay at Andy's Pet SHop at 51 Notre Dame Ave in San Jose. They get their orchard grass hay from San's Downtown Feeds in San Jose, which is one of the two hay dealers that I use for the rescue. Andy's Pet Shop sells it in flakes, which is roughly 5-7 pounds at $1/pound. About 80% of the time, the orchard grass is awesome. It's sold in open top bags so you can actually examine it closely to see if it's what you want. If it happens to not be good, then you can check out the Oxbow hays that they carry, which cost more. At times the orchard grass hay is so good that piggies stop eating their veggies and move over to the new hay that I put in.

But I know how your piggy loves timothy seed heads, so she may not like orchard grass.

Hi!
    Mooshy does love orchard grass too. She seems to like it more than bluegrass or timothy. I quit giving the seed heads awhile ago since she was becoming too overweight. Not sure if that was it but she's back to a better weight now.

I'm about 45 minutes away from San Jose. I'm still in cancer treatment so venturing out of a short distance around me isn't a good idea with my side effects. I start 6.5 weeks of radiation in 10 days. I don't like buying hay in bags because it's been bagged for awhile, which is why I've always gone KMS and SPS. I'm in no mood to sort through all the browns in the KMS bluegrass and SPS orchard grass but I do the best I can because I feel bad for Mooshy who looks at me like what is this. She doesn't eat the browns which I don't blame her. It's more work and stress than I need as I'm pretty finicky about Mooshy's care and this hay ordeal upsets me. Anyone one find a non pre-bagged sitting on the shelf source you can order online that is great, please let me know! I'll keep Andy's in mind for when I'm up to venturing out.
    Last edited by Artista; 04-23-16 at 06:49 pm.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    552 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

I forgot about these guys. I remember getting 1st cut timothy hay when I first got her. It was pretty good. This is in E. NV so maybe not hit like PNW? I'm going to order their orchard grass and see. I wish they offered 5 lb box to see but alas 10 is min. But it is cheaper than 10 lb SPS orchard grass. Man I hope it's nice. Usually when KMS sucked, SPS was good and vice vera. This year sucks!

http://www.sierravalleyhay.com/Hay-Info.html
    Last edited by Artista; 04-24-16 at 12:19 am.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

i got a 45lb box of 3rd timothy back at the begining of march and its gorgeous greem amd soft like normal...their is some brown but not loads and my pigs and bun dont care and eat it all anyway

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    104 Rec'd/100 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    My Chock gets meddo hay and that's always nice and green so i've been told.
    Cant remember the company that makes it though...
    I am blind so cant see picks

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

I have ordered Timothy from Drs foster and Smith recently. Their signature series. I like Oxbow the best but with 10 pigs it can get costly. Don't know about Orchard grass.

Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

Any green hay this year??

Quote Originally Posted by tjanson280 View Post
    I have ordered Timothy from Drs foster and Smith recently. Their signature series. I like Oxbow the best but with 10 pigs it can get costly. Don't know about Orchard grass.
    Oxbow is cheaper than the signature series, if you buy it in bulk. 50 pounds of Oxbow (orchard grass and timothy are the same price) is $60, which is $1.20 per pound. The signature series only comes up to 8 pounds, which costs $14 so that's $1.75 a pound. Buying Oxbow would actually save a lot of money, especially since you have so many pigs.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,566 Rec'd/1,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    600 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1154 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    I forgot about these guys. I remember getting 1st cut timothy hay when I first got her. It was pretty good. This is in E. NV so maybe not hit like PNW? I'm going to order their orchard grass and see. I wish they offered 5 lb box to see but alas 10 is min. But it is cheaper than 10 lb SPS orchard grass. Man I hope it's nice. Usually when KMS sucked, SPS was good and vice vera. This year sucks!

http://www.sierravalleyhay.com/Hay-Info.html
    @Artista.......thanks for the link. I checked out their website this morning and it looks promising. Have you previously ordered either the 1st cutting or 2nd cutting Orchard? Wish I knew when their present stock was harvested? Perhaps I will phone them on Monday for more information.

User Tag List