Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine White Urine, Young Pigs

cassiekupo

Cavy Slave
I have two boars living together; the older just turned six months, the younger is four months. There have always been periodic white spots on their fleece bedding and I didn't worry too much, just switched their diet to try taking out excess calcium. But it seems to be getting *more* frequent rather than less. Neither pig seems to be in pain when urinating, but I managed to see fresh urine today and it didn't look good--it was white enough that at first I thought it was boar glue.

The first picture is fresh urine, before it soaked into the fleece. The second picture shows dry spots (the fleece was changed four days ago).
20160420_162209.jpg20160420_162222.jpg

Once daily they get green leaf lettuce and cilantro, and each pig gets one sprig of parsley and one baby carrot. If I have cucumbers on hand they each get a slice of that. And now that more fruit is in season they get strawberries or a piece of apple once/twice per week. Unlimited timothy hay. They're also currently getting unlimited Oxbow Essentials Young Guinea Pig Food, and I was going to switch them to a limited diet of adult food in about a month.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's normal. Guinea pigs secrete calcium, but they need it for their bones and teeth. You can start worrying about reducing calcium in their diet when they're about six months old.

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
Since your oldest is six months I would switch them both to adult pellets now. The one that is four months you can give a little extra parsley to if you want to give him some extra calcium.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.