Thread: One of my guinea pigs doesn't seem to eat hay!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts

One of my guinea pigs doesn't seem to eat hay!

Hi everyone - first post here and first time guinea pig owner! On Saturday I adopted two one-year-old bonded boys from a rescue. They had only been at the rescue for a week and before that they were living in a tiny cage in a college dorm. Everything is going well so far, except I've noticed one of them doesn't seem to eat hay. I see him sniffing at it but he just walks away and does something else. I give them 1/8 cup each of Oxbow pellets per day as well as 1 cup each of veggies per day. They both eat the pellets and veggies well. The one that actually eats the hay makes a lot of noise when I get the bag out, and I always see him munching on it. I'm worried about my other boy because I know hay is supposed to make up the majority of their diet. I'm using Oxbow's timothy hay which I know is a good brand. Do you think he's being fussy? What gives?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    104 Rec'd/100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully he will follow the other pig and realise that the hay isn't a threat but something to be enjoyed... My Chock wheeks at anything that rustles...
    I am blind so cant see picks

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts

Re: One of my guinea pigs doesn't seem to eat hay!

I hope so! I'm going to try a different type of hay to see if he'll eat it. I don't think they were fed properly before so I'm sure this is all very new to them.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/30 Posts

Sometimes picky pigs will only eat hay if it's super soft, such as 3rd cutting timothy or orchard grass.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    221 Rec'd/184 Posts

My Pearl was never fed hay before I got her so it took her a few days to figure out it was food. Now it's her favorite thing.

Mentioned
    2120 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4105 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,544 Rec'd/6,027 Posts

Most pigs will figure out that the best food is in the other pig's mouth, so maybe he'll learn to eat hay that way.

But you can get small quantities of different kinds of hay and try him out.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts

I just got some orchard grass hay and he nibbled on a couple of pieces then walked off. Meanwhile my other one seems to like the orchard grass even better! Hopefully he'll figure it out soon. I'm a paranoid new guinea mom, .

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    32 Rec'd/25 Posts

You never know, he could be sneaking hay behind your back!

I'd keep an eye on both of their weights and check his teeth if the rescue didn't all ready. If both of your boys get the same amount of pellets and veggies, but one eats a lot more hay than the other, I'd expect to see a difference in the way their weights change over time. (Examples: one boy gains weight and the other stays the same, or one stays the same and the other loses weight.)

I like to recommend a new pig check up at the vet even if they're healthy. It lets you get a feel for your vet's exotic experience before you really need it, and it gets them in the vet's files for better record keeping. You could mention it then if you decide to bring them in.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kairi26 View Post
    You never know, he could be sneaking hay behind your back!

I'd keep an eye on both of their weights and check his teeth if the rescue didn't all ready. If both of your boys get the same amount of pellets and veggies, but one eats a lot more hay than the other, I'd expect to see a difference in the way their weights change over time. (Examples: one boy gains weight and the other stays the same, or one stays the same and the other loses weight.)

I like to recommend a new pig check up at the vet even if they're healthy. It lets you get a feel for your vet's exotic experience before you really need it, and it gets them in the vet's files for better record keeping. You could mention it then if you decide to bring them in.

I have been wondering if he's a night nibbler but I dunno, he just doesn't seem to care for any hay from what I've seen. I had the day off today so I've been near their cage all day taking note of what they do. I also have a kitchen scale that should be arriving later today so I'm going to monitor their weights. I'm actually an RVT and I'm good friends with the vet I work with so I've been talking with her about it too. She has 11 guineas at home and we see them all the time at work. I'm definitely going to be taking my boys into work soon but I want them to get settled and used to eating properly first!

I contacted the rescue I got them from and was told they were both eating hay well while they were there. Their hay comes from a farm supply though. I'm having a box of Small Pet Select timothy hay overnighted. It seems to be more fresh and has better reviews than Oxbow. We'll see I guess!

10. "Thank you, Aledenra, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    32 Rec'd/25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aledenra View Post
    I have been wondering if he's a night nibbler but I dunno, he just doesn't seem to care for any hay from what I've seen. I had the day off today so I've been near their cage all day taking note of what they do. I also have a kitchen scale that should be arriving later today so I'm going to monitor their weights. I'm actually an RVT and I'm good friends with the vet I work with so I've been talking with her about it too. She has 11 guineas at home and we see them all the time at work. I'm definitely going to be taking my boys into work soon but I want them to get settled and used to eating properly first!

I contacted the rescue I got them from and was told they were both eating hay well while they were there. Their hay comes from a farm supply though. I'm having a box of Small Pet Select timothy hay overnighted. It seems to be more fresh and has better reviews than Oxbow. We'll see I guess!
    Sounds like your boys have a great home!

12. "Thank you, kairi26, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts

Guess who's chowing down on his new hay!!! Both pigs love the new hay (Small Pet Select timothy hay). It looks and smells way more fresh than Oxbow. I'm so happy!

14. "Thank you, Aledenra, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    104 Rec'd/100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's good that your pig that wasn't eating their hay is now eating it
    That's really good news...
    I am blind so cant see picks