Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? Daily veggies help?

Mers Guineas

Cavy Slave
I understand they need daily veggies, but I have some questions as I am sort of confused. Just so you know, i am adopting guinea pigs sometimes next week or some time, I do not have them yet!!

Can someone link safe veggies? I'd prefer to stick to something simple, like bell peppers, carrots, lettuce, etc.

How many veggies a day would each pig need? I'll be giving them _ amount of veggies at night, and _ in the morning. What should these blanks be? Is there a veggie that I should avoid feeding everyday? Thanks :)

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
It's recommend to feed 1 cup of veggies each day per guinea pig. So if you have a pair you would give one cup in the morning and 1 cup at night according to your proposed feeding schedule.

Two good everyday staples are red or green leaf lettuce and bell pepper (green is the best but other colours can be fed on occasion as well).

My girls get the exact same veggies everyday, twice a day. They never tire of it so you can keep things simple, have a few staples and you can then throw other things in now and then.

For each individual pig their diet looks like this, and is split into two feedings:

-Red or green leaf lettuce
-1/4 of a medium sized bell pepper
- 2 to 3 cherry tomatoes (or a chunk of tomato around that size)
- 2 small wheels of cucumber
- 1 baby carrot (or a small slice of carrot)

Occasionally I'll add in an extra; a spring of cilantro, some radicchio or Belgian endive.

If you have pigs over 6 months old it is important to stay away from high calcium veggies. If you choose to feed them do so very sparingly and infrequently. Some examples are: Kale, spinach, collard greens, dandelion, parsley and Swiss chard.

If you're ever questioning if a veggie is safe or not, or it's nutritional value just take a look at the chart above.

Mers Guineas

Cavy Slave
It's recommend to feed 1 cup of veggies each day per guinea pig. So if you have a pair you would give one cup in the morning and 1 cup at night according to your proposed feeding schedule.

Two good everyday staples are red or green leaf lettuce and bell pepper (green is the best but other colours can be fed on occasion as well).

My girls get the exact same veggies everyday, twice a day. They never tire of it so you can keep things simple, have a few staples and you can then throw other things in now and then.

For each individual pig their diet looks like this, and is split into two feedings:

-Red or green leaf lettuce
-1/4 of a medium sized bell pepper
- 2 to 3 cherry tomatoes (or a chunk of tomato around that size)
- 2 small wheels of cucumber
- 1 baby carrot (or a small slice of carrot)

Occasionally I'll add in an extra; a spring of cilantro, some radicchio or Belgian endive.

If you have pigs over 6 months old it is important to stay away from high calcium veggies. If you choose to feed them do so very sparingly and infrequently. Some examples are: Kale, spinach, collard greens, dandelion, parsley and Swiss chard.

If you're ever questioning if a veggie is safe or not, or it's nutritional value just take a look at the chart above.

Would it be okay to feed a single slice of cucumber or baby carrot in the morning, and then do more at night?

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Yes, that would be fine. The amounts I listed are split into two feedings.

I make veggie bags for my pigs. At night I prepare the bowls to go in their cages and I then make the same meals and put them in baggies to use in the morning. This way I can feed them quickly in the morning and I only have to do veggie prep once a day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.