Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Absorbent Layer Question

Akiira

Cavy Slave
So, recently my boar Calcifer was having some irritation/allergies. One thing the vet recommended to prevent them from coming back was trying fleece bedding.

I've done some reading about the different types of fleece, how to clean it, and stuff like that. So far I haven't really found much about what to use as the absorbent layer underneath. I saw several good reasons for not using newspaper or puppy pads, so I probably won't do those. I've seen that a lot of people use towels or wood pellets. What are the pros and cons of those? And are there any other options to consider?

While I'm asking questions, I saw someone mention a "fleece flipper," what is that?

kairi26

Cavy Slave
I use uhaul blankets as my absorbent layer. I started by just folding the fleece around it and laying them in the cage together, but then my boys discovered how much fun burrowing is... It was quite a hassle to keep them on top of the fleece. I caved and bought a sewing machine so I could make fleece pads with the liner in the middle.

Fleece flippers are a product sold online that aims to make using fleece easier by using coroplast to create a fleece "tile" that can be placed in the cage.

I think they're pretty expensive, personally.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Most people on here use Uhaul moving pads or wood pellets. I've used both but currently have Zorb. I don't like towels because of how bulky they are, but they can work too. There are also different styles of liners you can have- loose fleece on top of an absorbent layer, fleece flippers (here's what those are: https://www.guineapigmarket.com/about-fleece-flippers), flat liners with the absorbent layer sewn between two layers of fleece. I know it can be overwhelming at first.

Towels
Pros: absorbent
Cons: bulky, stays wet

Uhaul pads
Pros: good absorbency with two layers, no odor, not bulky, can be sewn, inexpensive
Cons: having two layers makes it a bit more difficult to sew and dry

Zorb
Pros: good absorbency, only one layer needed, no odor, easy to sew
Cons: more expensive, needs to be incased in fleece (can't be washed on its own)

Wood pellets
Pros: excellent odor control, cheap, rarely needs to be changed (wash the fleece on top once a week, but the wood pellets can last for months), less laundry
Cons: very heavy, can be difficult to change them, can be dusty, not as comfortable for the piggies

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
I use 2-3 layers of towels and 2 layers of fleece. Pros are that the towels are easy to lay down and change out, just throw them down. They are soft in conjunction with the fleece. They're simple to take out and throw in the washing machine. Without having to scoop anything or throw anything in the trash. They're reuseable. A con would be that you have to do extra laundry & hang them on the line. That's about it. This method works well for me.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
I use uhaul under fleece, binder clipped to a sheets of coroplast that are like no sew fleece flippers. They work really nicely for me, and I didn't have to go to the trouble of sewing or purchasing flippers. I used to have bedding, and I swear I'll never go back. The fleece and uhaul doesn't smell, and the uhaul dries very quickly. And not having to scoop anything all the time is a huge bonus. I highly recommend uhaul. A large sheet is only $8 at most uhaul stores.

Also. I LOVE the name of your pig! I imagine you've either seen the movie or read the book Howl's Moving Castle? I'm such a huge fan of the book. :D

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
FYI, you don't need two layers of fleece, and it may actually work better with just one. The purpose of the fleece is not to make it soft, but to wick the liquid through. It has to be in contact with the absorbent layer to do that. So one layer will actually do the job just fine, but two layers may make it slower to wick. If there are air pockets between the fleece layers, it may not wick at all.

Akiira

Cavy Slave
You guys are all super helpful. :) Thank you so much!

I really like the idea of fleece flippers. I do have some sewing experience so making them myself would be no biggy if I decide on that.

After reading all of your responses I've got a few more questions.

When I look up uhaul moving pads I see a few different types, things like woven and non-woven and things like that. Does any of that matter for this?
From what I understand their care is simply once a week take them apart and wash the uhaul pads and the fleece (separately). Any specific thing to keep in mind when washing the uhaul pads? (I know for fleece not to use fabric softener and stuff like that)
Over time will I need to do anything for the coroplast?

kairi26

Cavy Slave
You guys are all super helpful. :) Thank you so much!

I really like the idea of fleece flippers. I do have some sewing experience so making them myself would be no biggy if I decide on that.

After reading all of your responses I've got a few more questions.

When I look up uhaul moving pads I see a few different types, things like woven and non-woven and things like that. Does any of that matter for this?
From what I understand their care is simply once a week take them apart and wash the uhaul pads and the fleece (separately). Any specific thing to keep in mind when washing the uhaul pads? (I know for fleece not to use fabric softener and stuff like that)
Over time will I need to do anything for the coroplast?
The kind of uhaul pads that we use are essentially a felt made out of recycled denim. From what I've read, the quilted blankets don't work.

Edited to add:

If you sew the uhaul into the fleece like a quilt, you don't need to wash them separately. This prevents the uhaul pad from breaking down and filling up your dryer's lint trap, so the pads last longer.

What I found works well for washing is I presoak the pads in very hot water with some vinegar in my washing machine. I find this really helps to break down urine that has dried on the pad. Then I drain my washing machine and run them through with unscented detergent and bleach. I use the two rinse cycle to make sure that I don't have any bleach left behind on the pads. Bleach doesn't affect the color of the fleece, and it deodorizes wonderfully.

Last edited:

catfabulos

Cavy Slave
I use uhaul blankets as my absorbent layer. I started by just folding the fleece around it and laying them in the cage together, but then my boys discovered how much fun burrowing is... It was quite a hassle to keep them on top of the fleece. I caved and bought a sewing machine so I could make fleece pads with the liner in the middle.

Fleece flippers are a product sold online that aims to make using fleece easier by using coroplast to create a fleece "tile" that can be placed in the cage.

I think they're pretty expensive, personally.

Ok now I have a question - the coroplast to create a fleece tile. How is it put together? Is it a layer of fleece, uhaul, both wrapped around coroplast? I'd like to try making one, maybe you could post a pic?

catfabulos

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for the link! Looks simple enough to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
FYI, you don't need two layers of fleece, and it may actually work better with just one. The purpose of the fleece is not to make it soft, but to wick the liquid through. It has to be in contact with the absorbent layer to do that. So one layer will actually do the job just fine, but two layers may make it slower to wick. If there are air pockets between the fleece layers, it may not wick at all.

I know you don't have to use 2 layers of fleece, its just what I use. I prefer 2 as it's softer and more sturdy or durable. There is absolutely no difference in how fast it wicks in my experience.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.