Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur My Abyssinians don't like to be pet.

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
I'm just curious...I have 1 smooth coated pig and 2 abbys. My smooth coated pig enjoys being petted, like she melts under your hand and will stretch a leg out. (so cute) My abby's on the other hand, don't like to be pet. One will tolerate small pets between her ears. The other doesn't tolerate any petting. Do you think it's because abby fur goes in a million directions? Do you think it's uncomfortable to them? Like when someone rubs your hair backward?

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My abby, Pho does the same thing. He tolerates it. I always try to pet his fur the way it should go, every which way, not just front to back. Guinea pigs have very sensitive skin and it very well could hurt them.

WheekingPiggies

Cavy Slave
Funny that you say that, because all of my abys have been the same way. (In the cage at least.) I've had three abys and they all refused to be pet while in the cage. My other breeds will tolerate or enjoy it. I do think that their fur has something to do with it. I'm sure there are some abys that love to be pet, so it depends on the personality of your piggy too.

librarychick

Cavy Slave
I think it's because they don't like their fur ruffled. Try petting your smooth pig backwards and see if she has the same reaction.

I found my aby liked being scritched (using my nails to gently itch at her skin) rather than being pet (smoothed from head to bum).

My cats all have their petting preferences too, so it makes lots of sense to me that piggies would prefer some kinds of touch over others.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
My abby girls like heat scratches right between their eyes or right behind their ears. They don't like to be pet along their body.

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
My aby puts up with petting better than her two shorthaired daughters. The fur on her back mostly goes in the same direction, so I think that helps.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
One of my soes from the past was an abby and she didn't like her back being tuched but she loved head rubs...
Just depends on your pig...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.