Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Changing bedding combos for the new cage.

csandralea

Cavy Slave
So, the girls and I are moving into a new apartment, and I just finished building their new cage into my art study, which is where I spend most of my time during the day. Since we have the third room now (my son has the other small bedroom), I turned that into my study + a smaller art table that he uses when we're doing things together. They have a 2x5 C&C cage with the cubby system below, and a 2x2 loft at one end. I've been using fleece over waterpoof padding and towels in their current cage, but after reading the threads about wood pellets the last few weeks, wanted to give it a shot. At the opposite end from their loft I have the 2x2 cavy bistro, so I kept our current setup for most of the bottom cage and filled the patio with wood pellets - I'm making a liner for it tonight. (They aren't in this cage yet - which might be obvious but just wanted to clarify. I had to downsize their current cage to a 2x4 and take off their loft to finish the new one, but we're moving into it tomorrow morning or afternoon, as long as I finish the liners for the kitchen+loft.)

I did some looking around on the forums and maybe I missed some of what I'm looking for, so I apologize if I sound repetitive. I planned on just clipping the liner over the edges of the kitchen with binder clips, like I do the rest of the fleece (baby is a burrower). I might move the bistro under their loft and add a piggy patio or something else to the opposite end. I just feel like cleaning under the loft is going to be really frustrating and was wondering how everyone else gets under it? Their current cage had a 2x1 loft, which wasn't super annoying but was difficult to get under unless you were at the right angle. I was originally planning to build bunk beds/hammocks to go under their loft, but started feeling like the bistro might be easier to put beneath it since I can lift the ramp and slide it out from under to clean. /:

I was also curious if anyone has tried using potty pads like the kind you buy for training puppies - I found some at the store while I was picking up pellets for $3 for 100 small pads, so I picked them up anyway. I figured if I can't use them, my mom can for the puppy she's working with. I don't think they sound harmful, and was originally thinking I could layer them under my current absorbent layer just in case something leaks through (in the areas that don't have pellets), but then I was worried that if they're supposed to help train dogs to go in one area - would they have the same effect on the pigs? Has anyone actually used them to start getting their piggies to go in one general location? (Because if so I'm totally going to try and get them to go in the kitchen - currently they just go everywhere! Especially if they can get into the corners, which is why I'm so worried about it being difficult to get under the loft. They tend to hide in the corners under their 2x1 loft now and poo there.)

I'm sorry I sound so scatterbrained, I'm always overthinking things and pretty out of it from lack of sleep. >__<

Also sort of a bonus - I've been trying to find this material online but cannot figure out what to call it to search for it. If I can't I'll make a trip to Hobby Lobby or Hancock's soon. I'd love to find some to use on my lap pads and cozies, especially since their fleece is garden themed and I think it'd be cute. ):

Yawn puffy (6).jpg

csandralea

Cavy Slave
Not really a major update, but I made fleece flippers (or attempted to, I think they came out okay so far) to go in the loft and the base of their cage.

I'm going to stick to pellets in the bistro and cover them and see how it goes - and if I can get them to slowly do most of their business there. :) I'll update with photos once I get the pads inside the flippers and everything in.

I also ordered the door kit to add in the back corner under their loft so that I can get to it a little easier.

miniver

Cavy Slave
I was using puppy pads in high traffic areas under fleece. I think they were curious about the crinkling noise because they started to dig under the fleece to chew on them. I took them out and now it's just wood pellets, fleece and pee pads. The only affect it had on their potty habits is that they would go wherever I didn't have a puppy pad. I swear they do that on purpose.

I still use puppy pads in their travel cage but they can't get under the fleece in that cage.

Save some money. The pee pads you made will work just as well.

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
Ditto @miniver. My pigs like eating puppy pads and they will dig them up to NOT pee on them.

I don't know what that kind of fabric is called either, sorry. Did you hear Hancock Fabrics went bankrupt and all their stores are closing? I'm so sad!

csandralea

Cavy Slave
I'll most likely just let my mom have the pads for her puppy then! She has a little yorkie that is just not wanting to pick up potty training. I love him, but I'm so glad I have my little cavies that poop in a contained area. xD

I didn't hear about Hancock! Now I'm more determined to go and see if they have any specials going on to get rid of stock. I was going to make a trip out this afternoon, so I'll stop by there.

Thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.