Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Healing time after neutering

• Thread starter LuvCavysLuvCats
  • Start date

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Hello! I wanted to check some information for a friend. She has two female piggies and one of them came to her pregnant. She had one boy, and she's going to separate once he turns 3 weeks old. Once he's 4 months old and the appropriate weight, she's going to get him fixed so he can return with his mother and aunt. Her question is after she gets him neutered, how long does he need to be on his own to heal?

From what I've looked up on here, a month was good to have all the sperm die out and everything heal up nicely. But she says she's gotten other information that says you need to wait 2 months. Is the one month waiting period accurate or has it changed and been updated to 2 months? Thank you in advance :)

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
4 weeks is enough time to keep him separated after his neuter. That will give him plenty of time to heal and for any living sperm to die off.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Four weeks is fine.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
@sallyvh [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] Thank you both!

I had one more question. She's worried about the boy being separated for 4 months without learning how to be social. I'm like 99% sure it's an instinct of theirs and he'll be just fine to be re-introduced to them after four months without any contact. Am I correct in thinking this?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't think there'll be more than the normal introductory issues because the boy's been alone for a while.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.