Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Midwest Cage liners, what's best? 1 or 2 layers of fleece?

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
So I've been making my cage liners for my Midwest cages, I have 2 that are the full length of one of my walls right now but will be changing it up soon to make them a big square instead as I only have 2 male piggies. My cage liners have been doing great I use a layer of fleece layer of uhaul then another layer of fleece all sewn together to make one liner per cage. I'm wondering how well only one layer of fleece on top of the uhaul works for people. I have two sets of liner but would like to make a few more but don't want to use so much fleece to sandwich my uhaul between. Does one layer of each sewn together work just as good as having the other layer of fleece on the bottom? I'm using fleece blankets I found at Walmart as my others are made from those and are doing great for me so just want to have extra fleece left to make more cuddle cups for them so they match the liners. Any thoughts?

Eric580

Cavy Gazer
I use one layer of fleece over my towels and it stays very dry. As long as you have enough absorbent material underneath your fleece, it'll work great. Don't forget to wash the fleece a few times to get it to work.

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
I use one layer of fleece over my towels and it stays very dry. As long as you have enough absorbent material underneath your fleece, it'll work great. Don't forget to wash the fleece a few times to get it to work.

Thanks!!! I usually always have a layer of uhaul under my top layer of fleece and even have a towel down under my liners to get anything that gets past the uhaul mainly under the spots I know they pee in most plus use extra adult bed pads u set the towels so if I just did a layer of fleece attached to the uhaul with it laying on top of towels and pads you think I could I it the bottom layer of fleece? I hope that makes sense.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You only want/need one layer of fleece on top of the bedding, unless you're making a large pad that can be flipped over. The single layer of fleece needs to come in contact with an absorbent layer (towels, u-haul pads, mattress pads, whatever) so that the liquid will wick through the fleece and be absorbed.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
One layer of fleece on each side. I recommend two layers of uhaul though. I find one layer just isn't enough, the pee goes right through it. The second layer catches all the excess.

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
One layer of fleece on each side. I recommend two layers of uhaul though. I find one layer just isn't enough, the pee goes right through it. The second layer catches all the excess.

Thanks HollyLeaf!!! I usually use a layer of fleece on each side but wanted to try something different since I didn't have much fleece to work with. I just have a few fleece blankets I grabbed at Walmart to use for my next liners but wanted to make matching cuddle cups with the fleece too. I'll have to try 2 layers of uhaul though as I only use one but I do put a layer of towels followed by adults bed pads under the liner which catches all the excess but if two layers of uhaul does better I might try that so I can get rid of the towels and bed pads, less to wash and do. Will definitely try double layer of uhaul!!!

catfabulos

Cavy Slave
I'm new to this - what is uhaul?I've just learned about these fleece liners. I'm only using dog per pads now with Timothy Hay on top, changing every two days but now changing every day. I'd like to try making my own, and from what I'm reading here you just use regular fleece with padding sewn together?

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
@catfabulos: Uhaul are furniture pads you can buy at the uhaul store for like $8 for a really big size pad. Made from recycled denim so they are very absorbant most cavy slaves uses them to make fleece liners and pee pads. Yup you have a layer of fleece then either 1 or 2 layers of the uhaul absorbant material then another layer of fleece all sewn together. You can find many tutorials on YouTube or even on here under the fleece bedding section. You can go to uhaul.com to see if there is a store near you to get the pads or if you spend about $50 online they will ship it to you free otherwise you pay for shipping. If your short on money or anything I just go to Walmart and buy the fleece blankets for $2.88 a piece to do my liners. They measure 50" x 60" so I can get a front and a back out of one blanket for my Midwest cages or some people just uses one layer of fleece and then the uhaul pad sewn together, having fleece on the bottom basically just makes it reversible so you could do two prints or a print and solid or whatever you like! I hope that helps you out!!!

catfabulos

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! I'll be trying this out.

Arkin

Cavy Slave
I started by sewing together 1 layer of fleece with 2 layers of towels.
It was a pain to sew together, and if I had to cut the towels the fray was awful so I had to bind the edges - lots of time.

Then, I did a fleece "pillowcase" and put two layers of uhaul liners inside. Then sewed up the end. Then quilted across. This is far more absorbent, took way less time to sew, no fraying, and is much easier to clean

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.