Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding How do I deal with many piggies?

Gasai Fabricio

Cavy Slave
I have 6 piggies. 3 females, and 3 males, the females live in a condo i made off of a wood locker. same for the males.
but since i have 6 i can't find enough time to pick everyone and play with them. Most of them don't have a problems
eating from my hand, and when i come to the room they are, they all get near where i am :D but none of them like to be pet
nor picked, so i wanted to know if anyone here had any helpful tips. i have them for almost 7 months now.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
I had a 4'x4' section on the floor for a while, just grids on the floor, and I would do my homework sitting in this play pen with my pigs. They would run and climb on me, and it was a nice interruption for me.
if you could set up some pen like that, and have your girls/boys in there (maybe half hour for girls and half hour for boys) this gives you an hour for your studies and your pigs get attention

Soecara

Cavy Slave
If you do what @Saylavi suggested, I would recommend you always let the boys run around before the girls. I would never let the boys into the area just after the girls leave it, as the area would still smell strongly of girls and could cause some tension between the boys.

In my experience with my boys it is only an issue if the girls have been there recently, if it has been several hours since the girls were last in the area there isn't an issue as long as none of the girls scent marked, I assume this is because the smell of the girls fades after a while.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Most guinea pigs don't like to be petted or picked up while in their cage, so that's not abnormal. And most guinea pigs could care less if you spend time with them every day.

Capricex

Cavy Slave
Most guinea pigs don't like to be petted or picked up while in their cage, so that's not abnormal. And most guinea pigs could care less if you spend time with them every day.

It's true. I second the idea of sitting in with them in a pen either when watching tv etc., just to have them get to know you more.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.