Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated I don't know what to do about this

Eat the cheese

Cavy Slave
My dad's friend has some guinea pigs at his hobby farm, he has about 20 of them. They are housed outdoors in a chicken coop with bantam chickens, a disgustingly dirty water bottle, they are fed on a diet of just carrots and their cage is never cleaned. I live in Australia and animals caring standards are not good and since they have food and water it is legal to keep them like this. He does not sell them for money or anything. I am not sure what I should do. I am thinking that rescuing a few from there would be a good idea since he seems fine with the idea of letting anyone take them. What should I do?

Eat the cheese

Cavy Slave
yeah i probably will take as many as I can from him, but i only have enough room to house a maximum of 6, but atleast I shall be able to give a few a good life

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
Try to take as many as you can from him, and give them to other people to good homes. Also try to tell him he's not giving them good care regardless if he'll listen it's worth a try. It really sucks knowing theres people out there and situations where you can't do much about.

Eat the cheese

Cavy Slave
Sadly I don't know anyone who would trust with the care of piggies, everyone I know with pigs keeps them outside and they never get attention

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
Are there boars and sows together? If you do end up taking some of them, I would try to take as many of the sows as you can (if there are only boars left, none can breed; but if you only take the boars, the sows could be pregnant already and give birth to boars which could then have more babies with the sows and therefore start the cycle all over again if that makes sense?), if not all of them.

Where abouts in Australia are you? Are there any rescues/shelters nearby? I believe there are much more shelters over east in Sydney Brisbane and Melbourne than there are in the West...

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd let your dad handle it. Give your dad information about proper care and nutrition for guinea pigs and ask your dad to pass it along to him. Depending on your age, his friend might not take you seriously. Your dad would probably have more influence on him than you would. Taking some probably won't make much difference unless you take all the females because if they're all housed together, they'll just continue breeding. Are you sure he's not raising them to eat? In South America, they let them run loose like chickens when they raise them for meat.

Eat the cheese

Cavy Slave
Dad thinks i'm silly for taking care of my guinea pigs how I take care of them, and no he doesn't eat them. The closest rescue for me is about 5 hours away. :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.