Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss Three guinea pigs dead in 24 hours, help to save the other three!

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
This was certainly an alarming read. As echoed previously I would bring them to a vet. Something doesn't add up as you mentioned hair loss on the first one...I don't know guinea pig physiology, but I don't see how diet alone would cause hair loss. When I read the word "skinny" I cringed a little, though.

Once you bring them to a vet and get things settled down, you should buy a small kitchen scale and weight them daily for a little while. No matter what the diagnosis/prognosis/treatment, you'll want to do this just as a status check. It seems like weighing them is a common method of assessing their overall health. As they become more stable and you're confident they're healthy, you can start weighing them once a week just as a precaution (I still do mine daily because it's kind of cute watching them sit in a bowl on a scale).

Fay

Cavy Slave
This was certainly an alarming read. As echoed previously I would bring them to a vet. Something doesn't add up as you mentioned hair loss on the first one...I don't know guinea pig physiology, but I don't see how diet alone would cause hair loss. When I read the word "skinny" I cringed a little, though.

A lack of Vitamin C through poor diet can cause scurvy which can cause hair loss. I believe it's extremely likely that the deaths were caused by a really poor diet and lack of constant supply of hay to keep their intestines working. @JordanT92 - I'm so sorry for your loss :(. I can't imagine how tough it must be to realize this could maybe have been avoided. I really encourage you to take what bpatters said to heart and read all the links provided thoroughly. For future note, when a guinea pig shows any sign of illness it needs to go to an exotic vet ASAP. Guinea pigs are really good at hiding illnesses and a lot of them will be fatal if left untreated. It's vital they see the vet as soon as you notice the signs because they can go downhill FAST and so vigilance is important. You can read more information on what to look out for and how to prepare on the emergency/medical guide link posted by bpatters. The Guinea Lynx website/guides are a fantastic source for information, a real must read. I'd definitely suggest studying everything on those guides carefully.

To add to that, if your pigs are alone in a spare room it might be harder to notice when something is wrong. I would suggest maybe using the grids to build a 2x5 cage within your living room (without the hutch). That way you can keep a better eye on them so you can catch problems early on when it can still be treated. Plus it's nicer to have them there so you can watch them and enjoy them more (pigs also like to be in the active part of the house). Finally, I'd recommend that if you don't have the money, to save up money for your other pigs in case of medical emergencies. I would put aside AT LEAST $3k - I wish you best of luck and I hope your other girls will be okay, I would suggest taking them to the vet for a check up just to be safe but please do implement all the diet and care changes mentioned in bpatters' links etc. right away. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask we're here to help! :)

Last edited:

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
@bpatters that is EXACTLY what I would of said. Good advice

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.