Thread: 2x4 okay for a week for three girls?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/55 Posts

2x4 okay for a week for three girls?

Hello again guys!

Ive been mulling this over for a few weeks now, and I thought I'd finally ask some of your guys' opinions on the matter.

My mom and I are going to Colorado in June, as a last mommy daughter trip together before I start college, and we are going to be gone over a week. I've arranged for my best friend who loves the piggies to take care of them, and she lives like right behind me so it works out well. What I was wondering was if a temporary 2x4 cage will be alright for my three girls for the week? I don't want to overwhelm her with my massive cage, and I doubt I could get it out of my room in one piece anyway. So what I was thinking was I could cut the 2x4 section of the cage off (it's an L cage) and just bring that over. Not to mention that's where the coroplast seams are and all I would have to do is cut through the tape without wrecking any of the base. I also have about 10 spare grids I could use instead, and shun the stand and make it even easier that way. Though I would still have to take the coro base out of the main cage.

So what are your opinions? My girls all get along pretty well, but I've never had them in anything smaller than the cage except for a small pen while I'm doing the weekly deep clean. I can try to make it bigger if that's better, but it's only going to be for a week and the less damage to the main cage as well as the less space for my friend to clean the better. And I'm still trying to figure out a kitchen area for the wood pellets, because I'd hate for them to pee all over the fleece and drag hay all over and make it even more difficult for her to clean. I'm sure she'd be alright with it, but she's already doing me a huge service for taking them, cage and all, for a week, and I want to make it as easy as possible for her. Any thoughts or tips would be grateful. I've never left my pigs for more than a work day before.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    43 Rec'd/38 Posts

Re: 2x4 okay for a week for three girls?

I am no expert so please don't take my reply as the end all be all, but this is what I've gathered from reading here.

Ideally a 2x5 would be the size for 3 sows. Although if they are well bonded and it is just a week, a 2x4 might be sufficiant. But be forewarned that the amount of mess they make will be the same but will seem like so much more in the smaller space.

As far as a kitchen area, what do you currently use?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyGrandma15 View Post
    I am no expert so please don't take my reply as the end all be all, but this is what I've gathered from reading here.

Ideally a 2x5 would be the size for 3 sows. Although if they are well bonded and it is just a week, a 2x4 might be sufficiant. But be forewarned that the amount of mess they make will be the same but will seem like so much more in the smaller space.

As far as a kitchen area, what do you currently use?
    Its a sectioned off area of the cage with a coro wall, wood pellets in the inside. It works very well.

I realize a 2x5 is whats ideal for three sows. Buts its only for a week. I could proably make a 2x5 work if i have to, but the way my cage is built it would be difficult to separate it like that.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    43 Rec'd/38 Posts

Could you just recreate the kitchen area in the temporary cage?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyGrandma15 View Post
    Could you just recreate the kitchen area in the temporary cage?
    Thats what im considering. I have a few different things i could do. But im not worried about the kitchen. Im worried about the size of the cage.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    536 Rec'd/425 Posts

As long as they get along fairly well they should be fine in the 2x4.

Every year during the Christmas holidays I visit family for 5-6 days and I choose to bring my pigs instead of finding a pigsitter. During that time each of my pairs live in an extra large petstore cage. They are always perfectly fine, yes there isn't as much room to run around but everyone is fed, fat and happy.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    221 Rec'd/184 Posts

I have a trio of sows that live in a 2x4 very comfortably. I would use temporary bedding in the whole cage while your friend is watching them. It is easier to maintain bedding than fleece, and she would probably only have to change it once while you are away.

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Hello, HollyLeaf!
    I can see how hard this decision must be. I have one guinea pig and her cage is a 2x4, but if there is any way you could just make the section a bit bigger than it should be fine for a week, but very tight fitting. As long as the piggies can get out of the cage a few times or once everyday then it should also be fine. I hope that works out

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    90 Rec'd/79 Posts
    Blog Entries

My trio of sows lived in a 2x4 for about three years. I haven't noticed any difference in their behavior between that and their current 2x5. Your pigs will probably be fine in a 2x4 for a week.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pigmommy89 View Post
    I have a trio of sows that live in a 2x4 very comfortably. I would use temporary bedding in the whole cage while your friend is watching them. It is easier to maintain bedding than fleece, and she would probably only have to change it once while you are away.
    I only change the fleece once a week. I intend to send a fresh set of fleece over and then ill just take care of all the washing when i get back. I hate bedding, and im sure she wont appreciate it getting all over the place either. But ill figure out a kitchen space so they can do most of their pottying in there.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    221 Rec'd/184 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HollyLeaf View Post
    I only change the fleece once a week. I intend to send a fresh set of fleece over and then ill just take care of all the washing when i get back. I hate bedding, and im sure she wont appreciate it getting all over the place either. But ill figure out a kitchen space so they can do most of their pottying in there.
    The trouble is, fleece won't last a week for three pigs in a 2x4. Your friend will have to clean daily or your pigs will be sitting in their own poop and pee the whole time. But if your friend is up for it, that's great. Most non-pig people wouldn't be that dedicated.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pigmommy89 View Post
    The trouble is, fleece won't last a week for three pigs in a 2x4. Your friend will have to clean daily or your pigs will be sitting in their own poop and pee the whole time. But if your friend is up for it, that's great. Most non-pig people wouldn't be that dedicated.
    I had two pigs in less than a 2x4 with fleece before i expanded the cage, and it never smelled or got gross.

I intend to teach her how to do everything, including daily sweeping and vacuuming. And as i said, i intend to make a kitchen with wood pellets, because the girls mostly pee in there since they prefer to potty on bedding like substances. As long as she keeps up the sweeping and stirring the pellets, the fleece should be fine. I also use double layers of uhaul so it never stays wet on top for long.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    536 Rec'd/425 Posts

Your set up sounds good. I imagine you are very close with your friend and you trust her to follow your instructions with your pigs so I'm sure she will do just fine. It's only 7 days. Have fun, relax and enjoy your trip!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/8 Posts

You might want to give it a "trial run" for the better part of a day while you are around to observe their behavior. Either you'll see that everything fits and they all get along, or you'll find otherwise and can figure out how to make it bigger. Either way it will save you worrying or trying to fix the situation while on vacation. It also might be easier to not do a kitchen area after all. You'll save space this way, plus I find it takes a lot more time and effort for me to keep the bedding in the kitchen area clean compared to a quick and easy sweep up of the fleece section. Yes, hay might get everywhere, but your friend can just sweep up poop and large amounts of hay, and leave it to you to more thoroughly "de-hay" the fleece when you come home. As for the peeing, if you could leave her enough fleece to change it out two times while you're away, she could just store the used fleece in a plastic garbage bag. That should help keep down the smell and the wet.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/18 Posts

I don't think this came up yet - but is there a reason why she couldn't come see them in your home? The piggies would be much more comfortable in their usual cage, and all the normal cleaning things would be right there. if you've known her a long time and she's responsible then that might be worth a shot.

16. "Thank you, librarychick, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List