Thread: my guinea pigs hide all the time.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

my guinea pigs hide all the time.

we have guinea pigs for 3 days and since we brought them they hide in their small house in the cage every time we approach them.how do i make them come to me? without them being afraid

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    66 Rec'd/57 Posts

Re: my guinea pigs hide all the time.

This is 100% normal for guinea pigs. They are prey animals and get startled easily. With time, patience and respect they will be less scared. It would be hard to get them to go to you unless you are holding them a treat. I can't think of much else to say but if you look on google you will find loads more information and suggestions on what to do. Good luck. For the record my pigs are not afraid of me at all, I can walk up and pat them and they won't move at all. So it can happen, you just have to be patient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

I always try to let any new animal settle in for a few days. Mine were very nervous when coming around the cage, but with time they don't run away when I am near by. Helps that my computer/office space is right by their cage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts

Our piggies were afraid too at first. After several days, I started feeding them all their raw veggies from my hand. Soon Dink was biting off chunks & dropping them, not wanting to eat but to stay there & let me pet his head. Doink too, the more shy one, got used to me petting him as he ate veggies. We've had them about 6 weeks & I still don't often catch & pick them up (tho I did to make sure of their sex), instead I let them go at will into a corral where I sit on the floor & let them climb on me. I want to get them used to being handled at their own pace.

Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Quoted
    700 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,441 Rec'd/992 Posts

It's only been 3 days. Some pigs take weeks or months to come out of hiding. The pigs might never "come to you". Keep in mind, they do not react like cats or dogs. To them, you are a large monster so yes, they are hiding. Give them some space and time. Once they associate you with positive things, they should come around.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Comely Guineas View Post
    This is 100% normal for guinea pigs. They are prey animals and get startled easily. With time, patience and respect they will be less scared. It would be hard to get them to go to you unless you are holding them a treat. I can't think of much else to say but if you look on google you will find loads more information and suggestions on what to do. Good luck. For the record my pigs are not afraid of me at all, I can walk up and pat them and they won't move at all. So it can happen, you just have to be patient.
    Quote Originally Posted by escapay View Post
    I always try to let any new animal settle in for a few days. Mine were very nervous when coming around the cage, but with time they don't run away when I am near by. Helps that my computer/office space is right by their cage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandalea View Post
    Our piggies were afraid too at first. After several days, I started feeding them all their raw veggies from my hand. Soon Dink was biting off chunks & dropping them, not wanting to eat but to stay there & let me pet his head. Doink too, the more shy one, got used to me petting him as he ate veggies. We've had them about 6 weeks & I still don't often catch & pick them up (tho I did to make sure of their sex), instead I let them go at will into a corral where I sit on the floor & let them climb on me. I want to get them used to being handled at their own pace.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavyMama View Post
    It's only been 3 days. Some pigs take weeks or months to come out of hiding. The pigs might never "come to you". Keep in mind, they do not react like cats or dogs. To them, you are a large monster so yes, they are hiding. Give them some space and time. Once they associate you with positive things, they should come around.
    They live in the living room which is a preety noisy place And most of the time i am not even there
    should i move them to my room where i stay most of the time ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

I'd probably have them in your room -- assuming you aren't allergic to the hay, etc that comes with guinea pigs. I don't have them in my room because 1) very seldom in there- just for sleeping mostly, 2) much easier cleaning up on wood laminate than carpet, 3) significant other wouldn't appreciate them there, and 4) a bit noisy even during the night.

User Tag List