Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: my guinea pigs hide all the time.

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Mar 16, 2016
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    my guinea pigs hide all the time.

    we have guinea pigs for 3 days and since we brought them they hide in their small house in the cage every time we approach them.how do i make them come to me? without them being afraid

  2. #2
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Nov 15, 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    363
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Thanks
    28
    Thanks
    66 Rec'd/57 Posts

    Re: my guinea pigs hide all the time.

    This is 100% normal for guinea pigs. They are prey animals and get startled easily. With time, patience and respect they will be less scared. It would be hard to get them to go to you unless you are holding them a treat. I can't think of much else to say but if you look on google you will find loads more information and suggestions on what to do. Good luck. For the record my pigs are not afraid of me at all, I can walk up and pat them and they won't move at all. So it can happen, you just have to be patient.

  3. #3
    Cavy Slave escapay's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 26, 2012
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

    Re: my guinea pigs hide all the time.

    I always try to let any new animal settle in for a few days. Mine were very nervous when coming around the cage, but with time they don't run away when I am near by. Helps that my computer/office space is right by their cage.

  4. #4
    Cavy Slave Wandalea's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 02, 2016
    Location
    Kauai
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    12
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts

    Re: my guinea pigs hide all the time.

    Our piggies were afraid too at first. After several days, I started feeding them all their raw veggies from my hand. Soon Dink was biting off chunks & dropping them, not wanting to eat but to stay there & let me pet his head. Doink too, the more shy one, got used to me petting him as he ate veggies. We've had them about 6 weeks & I still don't often catch & pick them up (tho I did to make sure of their sex), instead I let them go at will into a corral where I sit on the floor & let them climb on me. I want to get them used to being handled at their own pace.

  5. #5
    Moderator CavyMama's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 19, 2009
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    5,789
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Quoted
    700 Post(s)
    Thanks
    352
    Thanks
    1,441 Rec'd/992 Posts

    Re: my guinea pigs hide all the time.

    It's only been 3 days. Some pigs take weeks or months to come out of hiding. The pigs might never "come to you". Keep in mind, they do not react like cats or dogs. To them, you are a large monster so yes, they are hiding. Give them some space and time. Once they associate you with positive things, they should come around.

  6. #6
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Mar 16, 2016
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: my guinea pigs hide all the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Comely Guineas View Post
    This is 100% normal for guinea pigs. They are prey animals and get startled easily. With time, patience and respect they will be less scared. It would be hard to get them to go to you unless you are holding them a treat. I can't think of much else to say but if you look on google you will find loads more information and suggestions on what to do. Good luck. For the record my pigs are not afraid of me at all, I can walk up and pat them and they won't move at all. So it can happen, you just have to be patient.
    Quote Originally Posted by escapay View Post
    I always try to let any new animal settle in for a few days. Mine were very nervous when coming around the cage, but with time they don't run away when I am near by. Helps that my computer/office space is right by their cage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandalea View Post
    Our piggies were afraid too at first. After several days, I started feeding them all their raw veggies from my hand. Soon Dink was biting off chunks & dropping them, not wanting to eat but to stay there & let me pet his head. Doink too, the more shy one, got used to me petting him as he ate veggies. We've had them about 6 weeks & I still don't often catch & pick them up (tho I did to make sure of their sex), instead I let them go at will into a corral where I sit on the floor & let them climb on me. I want to get them used to being handled at their own pace.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavyMama View Post
    It's only been 3 days. Some pigs take weeks or months to come out of hiding. The pigs might never "come to you". Keep in mind, they do not react like cats or dogs. To them, you are a large monster so yes, they are hiding. Give them some space and time. Once they associate you with positive things, they should come around.
    They live in the living room which is a preety noisy place And most of the time i am not even there
    should i move them to my room where i stay most of the time ?

  7. #7
    Cavy Slave escapay's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 26, 2012
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

    Re: my guinea pigs hide all the time.

    I'd probably have them in your room -- assuming you aren't allergic to the hay, etc that comes with guinea pigs. I don't have them in my room because 1) very seldom in there- just for sleeping mostly, 2) much easier cleaning up on wood laminate than carpet, 3) significant other wouldn't appreciate them there, and 4) a bit noisy even during the night.

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •