Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Mysterious Ear Crusts!! Please Help!

PleebAndPlop

Cavy Slave
So roughly a month ago my two girls were treated for mites. One had crusty ears while the other had some hairloss and a scab behind one ear. They were treated with Revolution once and then again, two weeks later. Plop has improved wonderfully, her scab is gone and hair is growing back. I thought Pleeb had been improving as well, until I got back from a spring break trip less than a week ago, only to find her one ear even worse. It's crusty and ashy both on the outside and the inside. For the past few days I've been applying antifungal cream to it twice a day. (Best I can, she likes to rub it off.) It appeared to improve after the first day, but has made little improvement since then. Can anyone help?? Plop still seems to be doing fine.
pleeb1.jpgpleeb2.jpg

Attachments

pleeb2.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Which antifungal cream did you use?

Since the antifungal didn't seem to work, you can switch to a triple antibiotic cream and see if that helps. Put it on sparingly with a q-tip, and rub it in very well. You don't want her to be able to get any on her paws and then lick it off.

PleebAndPlop

Cavy Slave
I've been using clortimazole. Do you think it could be mites even after the Revolution? I washed all their things after they received treatment, so I'm pretty confused.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It doesn't look like mites.

If it didn't respond to the Clotrimazole, it may not be a fungal infection. That's why I suggested trying a triple antibiotic cream.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.