Thanks
    15 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

how to conserve hay?

Hi everyone,

Had a quick and hopefully simple question.

I'd say at least a third of the hay I give to my guinea pigs ends up getting thrown out. Some of it is due to the fact that I don't have a hay rack (they love hiding in their piles) so some of it gets soiled and I've come to terms that they don't really eat the hard stem bits, but I still feel like any hay that's been left for over a day or two doesn't get touched. I noticed that if I "fluff" the hay pile they'll eat from it more and they still pick at it regularly. Every time I throw in some new hay they go at it like gang busters, though.

Is it normal to be wasting hay like this? Should I hold back on resupplying the hay if I see that there's plenty lying around? For reference, the hay I use is SPS second cut. I've also given them Oxbow with the same results. I haven't tried KMS yet.

Note that I'm not concerned about the cost of hay; I'm just someone who really, really hates wasting things.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,309 Rec'd/5,826 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3899 Post(s)

Re: how to conserve hay?

All pigs waste hay. I do the same as you and fluff the pile occasionally, and they'll eat a few more strands. But a lot of it does get thrown out.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Eating and burrowing in the hay are both parts of the total experience for guinea pigs. I don't consider that wasting the hay but rather enjoying it to the max.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    43 Rec'd/38 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

We do "leftover hay" downstairs and fresh upstairs. Not much gets tossed that isn't peed upon here though. Not sure if I'm super lucky or it is some magic we are doing. We also put the hay into upside down store bought structured hideys, not sure if that helps or not.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

What about trying 3rd cut hay? It's more expensive, but softer, so maybe your pigs would eat more of it? I've heard it's good for picky pigs. I haven't tried it personally so there might be drawbacks that I'm not aware of.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    104 Rec'd/100 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Chock wastes hay as well as he likes to sleep/play/eat it so some of it does get weed on but i don't. Mind as i would rather have him enjoy his hay
    I am blind so cant see picks

Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

If it's the 'waste' that bugs you maybe look at using it in your garden or compost pile, or donate it to a community garden for their use.

All my pig waste stuff goes to my garden; I compost it during the summer, and in the winter I just dump it right onto my beds - by springs it's perfect. The poops are fertilizer and the leftover hay either breaks down or contributes to the mulch layer.

8. "Thank you, librarychick, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Unfortunately, I live in an apartment. The lease explicitly states that I'm not supposed to use the backyard or anything. I suppose I can check with my landlord and see if he minds me dumping hay/poo into his garden.

Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArcanaNoir View Post
    What about trying 3rd cut hay? It's more expensive, but softer, so maybe your pigs would eat more of it? I've heard it's good for picky pigs. I haven't tried it personally so there might be drawbacks that I'm not aware of.
    I order 2nd cut hay from SPS and they've always been good. The one time I changed it up and bought 3rd cut, the quality was crap. A lot of it looked and felt withered and half of it was brown. I ended up throwing a lot of that out and haven't looked back.

User Tag List