Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Crabapple tree wood???

NymphadoraTonks

Cavy Slave
I have lived at my house for 3 years now and have a crabapple tree in my backyard. I know for a fact that it has not had exposure to pesticides/fertilizers in the 3 years that I have had this house. I am just wondering if it would be safe to give my little piggles some crabapple branches to chew on? I have heard that Apple wood is ok, but was unsure if crabapple was included in that. I want to make sure it is perfectly safe for my 2 little princesses! I would of course clean in hot water and bake them at a low heat for a few hours to kill anything and dry them out...

NymphadoraTonks

Cavy Slave
Can anyone confirm if crabapple is ok or not???

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
I have no idea. I barely even heard of crabapple until this post. But I'm sure it will be fine.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know if crabapple is OK or not. Cherry is not. Why risk it if you don't know? I've never had a guinea pig that would chew on a twig anyway.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Yes, it seems crabapple branches are just as safe as apple branches which I don't find surprising seeing as domesticated apple trees are still very closely related to the wild apple tree (which crabapple falls under).

I couldn't turn up anything on guinea pigs specifically but all sources I have found say that crabapple branches are just as fine for rabbits as regular apple branches.

NymphadoraTonks

Cavy Slave
Ok cool. Thanks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.