Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Weird peeing behaviors?

Prinette

Cavy Slave
Not sure this is the right place to post it but here goes.

I have three boars in a 2x6 cage currently one story. I've been doing research on the normal habits of pigs so I could get them a litter box and reduce the number of washes their fleece goes through (about twice a week at this point). Everything I read suggests that they will pick a corner and that is will they will do their business. My guys pee all along the outside edge of their C&C cage. From one corner to another, all the way around it is soaked with pee. The good thing is I can monitor their pee for calcium and what not but I'm not able to add extra layers in one spot to reduce washes. Maybe it's because they are young-ish males?

Sorry for the long winded post! I appreciate any help!

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are going to pee wherever they feel like peeing. Which unfortunately can be anywhere and everywhere.

Having a litterbox/kitchen area can help, as they do a lot of their pottying where they eat. Also places where they spend a lot of time, like hideys and sleeping areas. I would recommend potty pads in the high traffic areas, so you can wash them easier and more often than just changing all the fleece twice a week. Definitely try the litterbox though, with hay inside it to encourage them.

My girls have been used to peeing on bedding since i got them, so when i switched to fleece and made a kitchen area with bedding, they didnt hesitate to mostly pee in there. Ill notice them go in the kitchen just to pee, then hop back out again. :)

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
our girls pretty much only pee in the kitchen area, but we have potty pads in their houses as well.

we could probably change the fleece out once a month and have no smell as long as the kitchen was being cleaned every 3-5 days. (of course we don't do this but we probably could with no issues)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Some will pick a place to go, others won't. I've had a couple that did, the rest not so much.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
That's basically how my boys do things. When I pull up the fleece, I find that all four corners, and to a lesser extent the edges, have been peed on but the middle is virtually clean. And my boys are four, so I don't see it ever being a different way.
Mine are basically the same.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I have two pairs. My younger girls are excellent and really only pee in their kitchen area. I could probably go a decent while just by cleaning their box. However, my other pair pee everywhere. Their cage is set up the same way and their cage gets much messier, much faster!

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
When I had one pig by herself, she peed mostly in the corners. Now that she lives with her two daughters, they pretty much soak the whole cage. Having a kitchen/litter box had no effect on their habits at all. I had some success litter training my other pair, but after a few weeks they got bored/lazy. Now I'm just happy if they all don't pee on each other.

Prinette

Cavy Slave
That's basically how my boys do things. When I pull up the fleece, I find that all four corners, and to a lesser extent the edges, have been peed on but the middle is virtually clean. And my boys are four, so I don't see it ever being a different way.
That is it exactly! The center is wonderful and dry but the towels and the very edge of the fleece all around the edges are soaked and stinky in 4 days or so. Thanks for all the help you guys! They are getting a second story kitchen tomorrow so maybe I will have less pee everywhere.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.