Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Allergies Sudden onset of allergies

Tatyannalol

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,

I have two guinea pigs (Gilbert and Gordy) who have been with me for a little over month now. Within the past few days Gilbert has been triggering my allergies making my eyes swell up with horrible itching and burning. When I hold my other piggie Gordy I do not have these same issues. However, this was never a problem before until very recently. Gilbert is an American Guinea Pig and Gordy is an Abyssinian if that helps. Has anyone had a sudden onset of allergies, if so what has been the primal cause, and what have you done to calm them? (Other than to get rid of your piggy of course)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Most people are more allergic to hay than to pigs, but that may not be the case with you since you're only reacting to one of the pigs. But you could try orchard grass and see if that makes a difference.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I noticed since my last adoptions a while ago, I am having more problems too, one does have longish hair. I also make sure I wash my hands right after I hold them, my forearms too. If they crawl onto my shirt, I change that. My hands burn with all of them after 20 minutes of petting them, the washing helps a lot. I never keep them out over 30 minutes and I can only do one a night.

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
I occasionally get hives/rashes from holding them, but I think that's a matter of what happens to be on their paws at the moment. Also, do you get seasonal allergies in general? It's getting close to Spring time, so maybe it's just coincidence.

Tatyannalol

Cavy Slave
I do have seasonal allergies but notice it's only a problem when I hold Gilbert. It's a possibility but not too sure.

Tatyannalol

Cavy Slave
I've been reading around some other places that it's time to cut some nails, as their pee gets stored underneath their nails when they walk on it, causing hives to surface on the skin, or other allergic reactions.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
You could try just a general groom and see if that helps. Bath him, clip his nails and trim any long tummy/bum fur that could be dragging on the bottom of the cage if he has any. If that helps it would be safe to assume that it was something on him that was causing the reaction.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I have 3 cats and I am allergic to them as well, I have gotten more use to the hair of my cats. If i go to my sister's house I am miserable for a few days. i have found flonase, that helps too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.