Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Washing fleece before sewing

How many times should I wash my fleece and Uhaul padding before sewing up cage liners?

Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Re: Washing fleece before sewing

Honestly I make liners and I don't, because you run the risk of the uhaul/batting turning into fluff in the wash. Fleece, batting, and uhaul all shrink by 5% when washed/dried, while cotton and flannel shrink 8%. Get a calculator and add whatever percent plus an inch for seam allowance (2 inches if you aren't used to your sewing machine yet) and sew it 5% too large. Then wash/shrink everything.
    But to answer your question properly, 3-5x with an unscented detergent. Some detergents with "softener" or "restorative" properties may leave a coating that stops fleece from absorbing, so avoid such detergents.

3. "Thank you, Saylavi, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saylavi View Post
    Honestly I make liners and I don't, because you run the risk of the uhaul/batting turning into fluff in the wash. Fleece, batting, and uhaul all shrink by 5% when washed/dried, while cotton and flannel shrink 8%. Get a calculator and add whatever percent plus an inch for seam allowance (2 inches if you aren't used to your sewing machine yet) and sew it 5% too large. Then wash/shrink everything.
    But to answer your question properly, 3-5x with an unscented detergent. Some detergents with "softener" or "restorative" properties may leave a coating that stops fleece from absorbing, so avoid such detergents.
    Thank you so much for your quick response. And also thank you for your video tutorial. I watched all three and made my first full size cage liner. I had already washed the fleece and Uhaul once before I sewed it up. I now have another question. I measured to leave room for shrinkage unfortunately now that I'm finished the width of my liner is 29" and my Cage is 28". Since I already washed the fabric once do you think it will shrink more than an inch when I wash it again?

Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

You can try washing and drying it on high heat to get some more shrink out of it, I find that most of the time (even if I tell people not to) they do that anyway. I don't know if you'll get another inch out of it, but if you started with 30" you should get another half an inch.
    and thank you! I just put up a quick video on making tunnels today

Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

I really don't want it to shrink anymore. I usually wash my fleece on hot for cleanliness sake but I'm afraid to wash my new liner on hot because I don't want to shrink it too small.
    I'll have to watch your new video. I subscribed to your YouTube channel and my husband kiddos and I watched some of your videos. You and your piggies are darling! We enjoyed the videos we watched. Thanks again for your help.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

@Saylavi what is the name of your YouTube channel?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    69 Rec'd/59 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Denise Mabie View Post
    I really don't want it to shrink anymore. I usually wash my fleece on hot for cleanliness sake but I'm afraid to wash my new liner on hot because I don't want to shrink it too small.
    I'll have to watch your new video. I subscribed to your YouTube channel and my husband kiddos and I watched some of your videos. You and your piggies are darling! We enjoyed the videos we watched. Thanks again for your help.
    heat isn't important for cleaning fleece. washers and dryers won't get hot enough to actually kill a lot of the germs. the most important thing for cleaning is the detergent (I personally use bleach)

Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Denise Mabie View Post
    We enjoyed the videos we watched. Thanks again for your help.
    thank you, and you're welcome. I doubt it will shrink much more than it has already, the drier is the one more likely to shrink than the washer, so if you dry on low I doubt it will shrink at all. Like I said before, I doubt it would shrink an inch, you might get half an inch.
    @emilia0830 it's called Saylavi

10. "Thank you, Saylavi, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    16 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saylavi View Post
    Totally wish I had known the percentage of shrinkage back when I did the liner for my boys' cage, but now I can keep this in mind for later projects.

Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Fleece is 5%, cotton batting 5%, uhaul (5% cold wash) up to 7%, cotton and flannel up to 7%

13. "Thank you, Saylavi, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Saylavi, I love your channel!! You just got yourself a subscriber. I got my piggies last year and I think I'm getting addicted to sewing... It's just sad that we have a very limited fabric to choose from here in Greenland.. We have only one store that sells fabrics and not cute at all.. TvT

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,494 Rec'd/1,229 Posts
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1097 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BrowniesMemory View Post
    Totally wish I had known the percentage of shrinkage back when I did the liner for my boys' cage, but now I can keep this in mind for later projects.
    I've been using fleece liners for well over five years and can tell you that you probably won't want to wash them in cold water. They really need to be washed in warm/hot water and occasionally with bleach. I don't bleach my liners every wash but instead use OxyClean in order to preserve both the color of the fleece AND the integrity of the uHaul layer.

One really needs to prepare both the fleece AND the uHaul properly to minimize shrinkage after the liners are sewn. There is a great deal of information regarding fleece preparation, but little on preparing uHaul. In my experience, fleece rarely shrinks much (if any), but uHaul can shrink a lot.....and that's nearly impossible to calculate in advance. The best method is to wash the uHaul 2-3 times in hot water and put it in a hot dryer to achieve its maximum shrinkage in advance.

Otherwise, the uHaul layer will shrink and the fleece won't........leaving you with a liner that won't lie flat and the fleece is "bunched up". Prepare the uHaul pad in advance with the hot dryer, and then press/iron it after removing it from the dryer to have it lie flat and be able to accurately cut it. Even after doing all this, you may still experience a bit of shrinkage of the liners. I sew my liners with about an extra 1.5 - 2" all around.

Remember the guiding principle of "measure twice, cut once" when making liners. If you sew them properly, then they will last a long time. I'm still using liners that I made five years ago. The fleece has held up well but I can tell that the uHaul middle has worn out as evidenced by urine leaking through onto the underpad.

Making fleece items for a piggy cage should be fun, not frustrating. Make good preparations and you'll be happy with the results.

16. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

I've been washing all of my liners on medium heat / normal in a front loader ever since I started, I make sure to shake off all the poop, then wash with a quarter cup of unscented detergent and a couple teaspoons of salt. I'm told you can use vinegar if something is being stubborn, but I haven't had that issue yet

18. "Thank you, Saylavi, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List