Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts

Re: Budget

Having a budget plan depends on quite a few things: where you live, how many piggies you have, what type of bedding you use, how much work you're willing to put in, ect.
    I spend around $20-30 a week to feed my 4 girls their veggies, plus I bulk order a 10lb box of hay once a month which costs me $20, and then their pellets cost about $10 a month. (A bag lasts me 2 months) I use fleece bedding so I only have to pay to throw it through the laundry every week, and assuming you aren't in an apartment you wouldn't have to do that.

so my monthly piggy cost (minus laundry and treats) is $130ish or $32.5 each

Then there's the cage. Let's assume you just want a normal 2x4 C&C cage, no stand, and you're willing to build it yourself. A box of grids on Amazon is around $20, plus the Coro could be anywhere from $20-40 depending on where you live. Add in a quality water bottle ($10) a hay bag or hay rack ($10) and a couple hideys ($20-60)

a new, home made 2x4 C&C cage without bedding could be anywhere from $80-150

then for bedding you could go with care fresh, wood pellets under fleece, fleece liners, fleece over towels, ect. Ect.

and then there's the vet fund you need to have....

if you don't own a piggy yet you probably want to have about $300 to build the cage, get the pigs, feed the pigs, and have a little vet money put away, plus you want to be able to allocate at least $20 a week to feeding them from then on. But then this is all my own perspective, I'm sure others on here keep their piggies happy for much less and I'm sure others on here spoil their piggies much more.

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Re: Budget

Quote Originally Posted by saylavi View Post
    having a budget plan depends on quite a few things: Where you live, how many piggies you have, what type of bedding you use, how much work you're willing to put in, ect.
    I spend around $20-30 a week to feed my 4 girls their veggies, plus i bulk order a 10lb box of hay once a month which costs me $20, and then their pellets cost about $10 a month. (a bag lasts me 2 months) i use fleece bedding so i only have to pay to throw it through the laundry every week, and assuming you aren't in an apartment you wouldn't have to do that.

So my monthly piggy cost (minus laundry and treats) is $130ish or $32.5 each

then there's the cage. Let's assume you just want a normal 2x4 c&c cage, no stand, and you're willing to build it yourself. A box of grids on amazon is around $20, plus the coro could be anywhere from $20-40 depending on where you live. Add in a quality water bottle ($10) a hay bag or hay rack ($10) and a couple hideys ($20-60)

a new, home made 2x4 c&c cage without bedding could be anywhere from $80-150

then for bedding you could go with care fresh, wood pellets under fleece, fleece liners, fleece over towels, ect. Ect.

And then there's the vet fund you need to have....

If you don't own a piggy yet you probably want to have about $300 to build the cage, get the pigs, feed the pigs, and have a little vet money put away, plus you want to be able to allocate at least $20 a week to feeding them from then on. But then this is all my own perspective, i'm sure others on here keep their piggies happy for much less and i'm sure others on here spoil their piggies much more.

thanks for the ideas

User Tag List