Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General My piggy is not drinking...

sanjab

Cavy Gazer
I got a piggy (6 weeks old) on Sunday and until today the water bottle is full. Is means that she is not drinking yes? What should I do?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Make sure her veggies are very wet, and that the water bottle is working.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
I've owned a lot of pigs and almost all of them have refused to drink water when I was awake the first week or two after I got them. They'd secretly drink a small amount while I was sleeping, and while I was at work. Even then, it wasn't much and they got most from their vegetables. I think it has something to do with being in a new environment and not trusting it, and depending on that particular pig/activity level + how many veggies you give, they might just not be that thirsty.

sanjab

Cavy Gazer
The water bottle is working, and she gets veggies (pretty wet) on morning before I go to work, and in the evening after work. Is that OK? I wait for her to warm up with me and drink :(

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
you could try covering the top of the cage with a fleece or towel, that's what we did when we first got our piggies. it made them feel safer I think.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.