Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Eskimo Pigs

ShinyDust

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

I'm new...Obviously.. xD

I rescued a pregnant abyssinian guinea pig last year from a guy who breeds small animals for quick money, he decided to get rid of his guinea pigs to take home other animals and I was able to rescue the last guinea pig. I was shocked to see how many animals he had in such a small room.

Anyway, I'm a 27 year old Eskimo/Inuit from Greenland. I've been living among dogs and other pets since I was born but now that we're in the Capital of Greenland, Nuuk, it's difficult to find places where you're allowed to have dogs.
Haven't had pets for about 5 years until I get my guinea pigs, they have so much love to give and such big personalities! :love::love::love:
I'm glad I got them.

20151123_063843.jpg
I just fell for her right away, my niece named her after Elsa from the movie Frozen.
She gave birth in September last year to 4 healthy little pups.
She is bossy and sometimes a big bully but she's nice most of the time.
I'm just glad she is not so scared of people anymore.

20151228_214224.jpg
Hunter is the biggest show off I've ever seen, he loves all the attention he can get from the sows and me.
He does everything he can just to get some extra love.
He is the only boar but I guess it's a good thing.
(He has his own cage because I don't want accidental pregnancies)

12178104_1000491363307597_151435985_n.jpg
Nuunu(means Baby in Greenlandic)
She is the most skittish piggie I have, she doesn't like other people except for me and my niece,
I didn't want to find her a new home because of that and I'm glad I kept her.
Doesn't like being picked up but absolutely loves to sleep on my lap and gets her butt/back scratched.
She is very easy to handle even though she is skittish, probably easiest one when it comes to nail trimming.
Oh, and she whistles like a bird. I heard it's rare.

I gave these 2 piggies to my sister(cousin) because they easily get used to new things and because
I can't keep all the pups.

20160216_123853.jpg20160216_124038-1.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome! You've got some very cute pigs!

ShinyDust

Cavy Slave
Thank you.. :D
I have been searching for guinea pig sites/forums but haven't found one as good as this so I'm very excited.
I still have lots of things to learn about being a guinea pig owner, I hope I will make some friends who can help me be a better mom for my piggies.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
See https://www.guinealynx.info as well. There are two booklets listed on the main page of that site that are very useful to new pig owners.

Also, because you're in an area that probably has no exotic vet in a thousand miles, you need to learn all you can about piggy health care, and that's an excellent site for it.

ShinyDust

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the link, I will check it later today.

I will try my best to learn more about piggy health care since we have only one vet here in Greenland, and she doesn't have any experience in treating small pets like guinea pigs. It's one of the reasons I'm afraid to get Hunter neutered.
There is also only one pet supply store here and they have a very limited supplies for guinea pigs,
they have hay, pellets that most doesn't really recommend(the kind with grain/seeds and colored stuff). I do buy those, but I try my best to separate the seeds to sprout later and remove colored pellets.
I also give them veggies daily, the easiest ones we can get are lettuce, carrots, pepper bells and celery. Are there any other veggies you recommend?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

ShinyDust

Cavy Slave
Wow, lots of information. Looks like I will be reading the rest of the day. :D
Thanks, you're the best!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.