Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Hi! I just got a piggy!!!

sanjab

Cavy Gazer
Hi ,
I am new here! :) I just got a 6 week old female piggy yesterday. But since then all she is doing is hiding under hiding spot :( Even this morning when I was leaving for work she was still hiding..will she come out soon? I am worry for her to be hungry ..Is this normal? Any advise? Thanks!

jessdb

Cavy Slave
Does she have a friend? Pigs are very social animals and should be kept is pairs or more, i would look into getting one! :) as for the hiding, shes getting used to her environment, i wouldn't bother her too much, she just got a new home and that can be very stressful! With my pigs when i got them i covered their entire cage with a blanket for a while to help them feel safe, then every day when i was spot cleaning and doing their usual food stuff i would pull back the blanket a little more. Make a cage routine and stick with it! Piggies love routines, so say at 1 o'clock every day, spot clean their cage and fill water, feed them their pellets and then at 7 their 2nd bowl of veggies. Then she will know when to expect you every day! :) i hope this helps and welcome to the community!

sanjab

Cavy Gazer
Hi! Thank you very much friend :) I can not afford to get a new piggy at the moment but I will consider to get one later :) So she is just adjusting..How can I help her to break the ice? should I hold her? or if she is hiding , remove the hiding box? or offer her foodies? Sorry I am so new to these cute creatures :)Cant wait to go home to my baby

jessdb

Cavy Slave
I waited a while before my next piggy too. But I would wait 2 weeks before trying to handle her, when i need to clean cages i always put carriers down with food in the back and the climb right in (they still hate being picked up after over a year)
But food is always a bribing point when it comes to pigs haha hay, veggies everything. I would always keep the hidey in the cage, that way she doesnt feel like she has no escape if she gets scared.
I used to just sit by the cage and talk to mine during the beginning 2 week period. No contact really, just sitting next to it and talking to get them used to your voice. Then i would after 2 weeks put my hand in the cage and just sit it there, so they weren't afraid of it, then i would put food in my hand and sit it there, then i would try to just hand feed it, sometimes trying to just pet the top of their heads and eventually they love being petted and held (still not picked up haha) but dont be alarmed by the skittishness! Piggies are prey animals and are skittish by nature! :)

sanjab

Cavy Gazer
Thank you heaps! I will keep these great advises on mind :) Do I need to be worry about her not drinking water or no?

jessdb

Cavy Slave
Maybe move the hidey close to the water and moniter food and water intake just in case, try the blanket thing so she shoule come out of the hidey and just watch intake! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.