Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Running lice treatments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantaziez

Cavy Gazer
Hi all, i'm going to be ordering Lice'n'Easy.
Anyone have any alternatives until they'll get shipped?
(Natural please!)
I only noticed when i was petting Shadow and suddenly these white crawly things were on his head!
I squeezed one and it moved, so yea...
d

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately any topical treatment that will actually kill the live has a chance of side effects like any other drug. I personally would rather a clinically tested and effective treatment over homeopathic "treatments" that are not rigorously tested in a clinical setting as well as unknown side effects and a lack of efficacy. Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safe. Arsenic is natural.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Sorry! not natural. + it can kill them.

Literally everything can kill in high enough quantities, even water. Ivermectin has been tested and the fatal dosage is much higher than the treatment dosage, many vets use ivermectin on guinea pigs for mites and lice but there are other options that some vets chose to use that require a prescription in some countries such as revolution. https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_treatment.html

If you do not feel comfortable treating yourself then take them to a vet for treatment, there are no known effective natural remedies for treating lice that are safe for the guinea pigs. There is a high risk that whatever you put on a guinea pig will end up getting ingested as they groom themselves and all natural insecticidal remedies that I know of are extremely dangerous when ingested. If you do go to a vet revolution is a better choice as it only requires one dose, whereas ivermectin needs to be re dosed once a week for three weeks.

Fantaziez

Cavy Gazer
Literally everything can kill in high enough quantities, even water. Ivermectin has been tested and the fatal dosage is much higher than the treatment dosage, many vets use ivermectin on guinea pigs for mites and lice but there are other options that some vets chose to use that require a prescription in some countries such as revolution. https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_treatment.html

If you do not feel comfortable treating yourself then take them to a vet for treatment, there are no known effective natural remedies for treating lice that are safe for the guinea pigs. There is a high risk that whatever you put on a guinea pig will end up getting ingested as they groom themselves and all natural insecticidal remedies that I know of are extremely dangerous when ingested. If you do go to a vet revolution is a better choice as it only requires one dose, whereas ivermectin needs to be re dosed once a week for three weeks.
We're just gonna wait for Lice'n'Easy then.
She will take only natural things, (She as my mother.)
i would take it if i could, but accidental usage could end up with them dying.
Sooo we're waitin' it out.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
I do believed that you missed the part about there being no known effective and safe natural products to treat lice. Parasites are a medical issue and should be treated with antiparasitic medication. Wether you do this at home with a medical treatment that is both safe and effective or take your pigs to the vet, the only hard truth is natural products with will not work or they will be downright dangerous. If veterinary care is going to always be shot down and natural "cures" are the only option then maybe Guinea pigs are not for you. These are fragile animals that tend to be rather prone to illness so vet care is a must.

Fantaziez

Cavy Gazer
I do believed that you missed the part about there being no known effective and safe natural products to treat lice. Parasites are a medical issue and should be treated with antiparasitic medication. Wether you do this at home with a medical treatment that is both safe and effective or take your pigs to the vet, the only hard truth is natural products with will not work or they will be downright dangerous. If veterinary care is going to always be shot down and natural "cures" are the only option then maybe Guinea pigs are not for you. These are fragile animals that tend to be rather prone to illness so vet care is a must.
May i be allowed to have an opinion?You must have SOOOO much control on this forum, as it seems everyone OBEYS you.If your veterinarians are so good, may i ask why there are so many hateful things around it?Many pigs die from them, and i may say pigs can die from natural ones too, but the "good" ones outweigh natural therapy.And i'm sure guinea pigs might not be for you either, as you clearly won't allow IT'S opinions.And did you think that i wouldn't take them to a vet just because i try natural first?I'd take MYSELF to a doctor when needed.And nukes aren't natural, are they?Also fruit and veggies are natural, too!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Fantaziez, there's no need to attack anyone on the forum from having a different opinion than you, and expressing it.

I think you're confusing "natural" with "safe," and they're not at all the same. Poison ivy is totally natural, but nobody who's allergic to it and in their right minds would want to come into contact with it.

While it's true that many medicines are derived from natural chemicals, they're often not strong enough in their "natural" state to be effective, and require concentration and processing to be so. Digitalis, a heart medicine, is derived from foxglove, but it would take an unknown quantity of foxglove for treatment, because there's no way to know how effective it is.

Animals CAN be overdosed with ivermectin, as they can with almost anything. But it is safe when used as directed, which is all anyone is suggesting.

If you'll take a look at the Gorgeous Guineas website, you'll notice that Lice n Easy is listed under therapeutic shampoos, which carry the note that they contain additional active ingredients, but they don't say what those are. So you're choosing to use unknown compounds on your pig instead of one that has been proven safe and effective for animals and people for many years. That's your choice. Just don't get bent out of shape when someone disagrees with you.

Fantaziez

Cavy Gazer
@Fantaziez, there's no need to attack anyone on the forum from having a different opinion than you, and expressing it.

I think you're confusing "natural" with "safe," and they're not at all the same. Poison ivy is totally natural, but nobody who's allergic to it and in their right minds would want to come into contact with it.

While it's true that many medicines are derived from natural chemicals, they're often not strong enough in their "natural" state to be effective, and require concentration and processing to be so. Digitalis, a heart medicine, is derived from foxglove, but it would take an unknown quantity of foxglove for treatment, because there's no way to know how effective it is.

Animals CAN be overdosed with ivermectin, as they can with almost anything. But it is safe when used as directed, which is all anyone is suggesting.

If you'll take a look at the Gorgeous Guineas website, you'll notice that Lice n Easy is listed under therapeutic shampoos, which carry the note that they contain additional active ingredients, but they don't say what those are. So you're choosing to use unknown compounds on your pig instead of one that has been proven safe and effective for animals and people for many years. That's your choice. Just don't get bent out of shape when someone disagrees with you.
It's clear she's objective to natural therapies, i respect all peoples opinions and do not see my response to her post as "attacking" her.
It was in reply which i have a right to just as much as i could have seen her post attacking me.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
There is a difference between opinion and fact. Fact: your pig has lice. Fact:natural antiparasitic remedies are at worst very harmful and at best totally useless. Fact: You have a legal responsibility to provide any and all medical care to any and all animals under your care by a licensed doctor of veterinary medicine. Not really seeing much opinion here.

Fantaziez

Cavy Gazer
There is a difference between opinion and fact. Fact: your pig has lice. Fact:natural antiparasitic remedies are at worst very harmful and at best totally useless. Fact: You have a legal responsibility to provide any and all medical care to any and all animals under your care by a licensed doctor of veterinary medicine. Not really seeing much opinion here.
It's people like you that make this an unsavoury place to ask others for help and guidance at this forum...

(This wasn't written by me me (read my other threads))

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
That doesn't change the fact that your pig needs medical attention.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.