Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Vitamin D (sunlight) and veggies serving

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Dec 19, 2015
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    5
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Vitamin D (sunlight) and veggies serving

    Hi all!


    I'm wondering how I can get my piggies to be receive more sunlight (vitamin D). As it is now, my 2 girls like to burrow under the cloth/hidey or wherever that do not expose them. Even though I've been taking care of them for a few months now, they are still super skittish around me or other people. I'm afraid if this goes on, they will lack the vitamin D since they are not exposed to sunlight at all.

    I'm thinking of taking them out and put them under the sun in the morning.. Just for 10 minutes or so. Is this a good idea or will it scare them even more?

    Also I'm wondering if anyone can take a picture of how much veggies should be given for 2 piggies. The recommended serving amount is 1 cup per 1 piggie, but how much is 1 cup? Do I squish the veggies until 1 cup full, or what? A picture will be awesome!

    Thanks all!

  2. #2
    Cavy Slave HollyLeaf's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 24, 2015
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    358
    Thanks
    22
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)

    Re: Vitamin D (sunlight) and veggies serving

    You shouldn't have to worry about your pigs getting sunlight. The little bit that shines in the window every day is more than enough. I have a big sheet over my window because we've yet to put up curtains, and only a thin strip of sunlight gets in the pig cage end of the room. Some days I'll fold it back to let in more, just so the pigs aren't in the dark all day (though the sun doesn't seem to like showing itself anymore this winter :/). I wouldn't worry about sunlight. Their vitamin C is more important, and a little sunlight getting in the window is all they need. I read this somewhere on here earlier as I was curious myself.

    You're right, 1 cup of veggies per pig per day. I would recommend a half cup each in the morning, and again at night. You could use a measuring cup, but I tend to just guess. For three pigs, I shred a decently sized pile of lettuce, and then throw in cucumber slices, pepper, radicchio, carrots, or whatever else I have, mixing it up each day. I would show you a picture, but my pigs just finished their breakfast. But I found the one time I tried using a measuring cup, it didn't really work. There's going to be space between each shred of lettuce, each piece of pepper, etc. so it's hard to measure exactly. A handful of veggies per pig is probably a good, close guess.

  3. "Thank you, HollyLeaf, for this useful post," says:


  4. #3
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Dec 19, 2015
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    5
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Vitamin D (sunlight) and veggies serving

    Quote Originally Posted by HollyLeaf View Post
    You shouldn't have to worry about your pigs getting sunlight. The little bit that shines in the window every day is more than enough. I have a big sheet over my window because we've yet to put up curtains, and only a thin strip of sunlight gets in the pig cage end of the room. Some days I'll fold it back to let in more, just so the pigs aren't in the dark all day (though the sun doesn't seem to like showing itself anymore this winter :/). I wouldn't worry about sunlight. Their vitamin C is more important, and a little sunlight getting in the window is all they need. I read this somewhere on here earlier as I was curious myself.

    You're right, 1 cup of veggies per pig per day. I would recommend a half cup each in the morning, and again at night. You could use a measuring cup, but I tend to just guess. For three pigs, I shred a decently sized pile of lettuce, and then throw in cucumber slices, pepper, radicchio, carrots, or whatever else I have, mixing it up each day. I would show you a picture, but my pigs just finished their breakfast. But I found the one time I tried using a measuring cup, it didn't really work. There's going to be space between each shred of lettuce, each piece of pepper, etc. so it's hard to measure exactly. A handful of veggies per pig is probably a good, close guess.
    Good to know! I was really worried about them not getting enough sunlight, but I can rest easy now.

    As for the veggies, it'd be great if you can share some photos later on ^_^. I did try to use a measuring cup, but as you said I wasn't sure how "full" a cup should be. My routine thus far consisted of giving them pellets at 7 AM, then around 8-9 PM it's veggie time. Should I give them a bit of both or can I continue with this routine?

  5. #4
    Cavy Slave HollyLeaf's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 24, 2015
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    358
    Thanks
    22
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)

    Re: Vitamin D (sunlight) and veggies serving

    Quote Originally Posted by coldcell View Post
    Good to know! I was really worried about them not getting enough sunlight, but I can rest easy now.

    As for the veggies, it'd be great if you can share some photos later on ^_^. I did try to use a measuring cup, but as you said I wasn't sure how "full" a cup should be. My routine thus far consisted of giving them pellets at 7 AM, then around 8-9 PM it's veggie time. Should I give them a bit of both or can I continue with this routine?
    For pellets, I would just give them an 1/8 of a cup each day, as that's the recommended amount. I typically just give a small handful in each dish every night when I sweep the cage. They never seem to finish them all anyway. Veggies, like I said, I would do half a cup each in the morning and again at night. It's better to have it spread out more.

  6. #5
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    28,403
    Thanks
    169
    Thanks
    7,194 Rec'd/5,729 Posts
    Mentioned
    2020 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3764 Post(s)

    Re: Vitamin D (sunlight) and veggies serving

    Windows block so much sunlight that putting a cage in front of one won't do much for giving your pig vitamin D. And they have to be in direct sunlight, anyway, as far as I know.

  7. #6
    Cavy Slave HollyLeaf's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 24, 2015
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    358
    Thanks
    22
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)

    Re: Vitamin D (sunlight) and veggies serving

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Windows block so much sunlight that putting a cage in front of one won't do much for giving your pig vitamin D. And they have to be in direct sunlight, anyway, as far as I know.
    Thats true. And it's not like we should be keeping our pigs outside, because that's a big no-no. Like I said, I don't think it's a big deal.

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •