Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Vitamin D (sunlight) and veggies serving

coldcell

Cavy Slave
Hi all!

I'm wondering how I can get my piggies to be receive more sunlight (vitamin D). As it is now, my 2 girls like to burrow under the cloth/hidey or wherever that do not expose them. Even though I've been taking care of them for a few months now, they are still super skittish around me or other people. I'm afraid if this goes on, they will lack the vitamin D since they are not exposed to sunlight at all.

I'm thinking of taking them out and put them under the sun in the morning.. Just for 10 minutes or so. Is this a good idea or will it scare them even more?

Also I'm wondering if anyone can take a picture of how much veggies should be given for 2 piggies. The recommended serving amount is 1 cup per 1 piggie, but how much is 1 cup? Do I squish the veggies until 1 cup full, or what? A picture will be awesome!

Thanks all!

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
You shouldn't have to worry about your pigs getting sunlight. The little bit that shines in the window every day is more than enough. I have a big sheet over my window because we've yet to put up curtains, and only a thin strip of sunlight gets in the pig cage end of the room. Some days I'll fold it back to let in more, just so the pigs aren't in the dark all day (though the sun doesn't seem to like showing itself anymore this winter :/). I wouldn't worry about sunlight. Their vitamin C is more important, and a little sunlight getting in the window is all they need. I read this somewhere on here earlier as I was curious myself.

You're right, 1 cup of veggies per pig per day. I would recommend a half cup each in the morning, and again at night. You could use a measuring cup, but I tend to just guess. For three pigs, I shred a decently sized pile of lettuce, and then throw in cucumber slices, pepper, radicchio, carrots, or whatever else I have, mixing it up each day. I would show you a picture, but my pigs just finished their breakfast. But I found the one time I tried using a measuring cup, it didn't really work. There's going to be space between each shred of lettuce, each piece of pepper, etc. so it's hard to measure exactly. A handful of veggies per pig is probably a good, close guess.

coldcell

Cavy Slave
You shouldn't have to worry about your pigs getting sunlight. The little bit that shines in the window every day is more than enough. I have a big sheet over my window because we've yet to put up curtains, and only a thin strip of sunlight gets in the pig cage end of the room. Some days I'll fold it back to let in more, just so the pigs aren't in the dark all day (though the sun doesn't seem to like showing itself anymore this winter :/). I wouldn't worry about sunlight. Their vitamin C is more important, and a little sunlight getting in the window is all they need. I read this somewhere on here earlier as I was curious myself.

You're right, 1 cup of veggies per pig per day. I would recommend a half cup each in the morning, and again at night. You could use a measuring cup, but I tend to just guess. For three pigs, I shred a decently sized pile of lettuce, and then throw in cucumber slices, pepper, radicchio, carrots, or whatever else I have, mixing it up each day. I would show you a picture, but my pigs just finished their breakfast. But I found the one time I tried using a measuring cup, it didn't really work. There's going to be space between each shred of lettuce, each piece of pepper, etc. so it's hard to measure exactly. A handful of veggies per pig is probably a good, close guess.

Good to know! I was really worried about them not getting enough sunlight, but I can rest easy now.

As for the veggies, it'd be great if you can share some photos later on ^_^. I did try to use a measuring cup, but as you said I wasn't sure how "full" a cup should be. My routine thus far consisted of giving them pellets at 7 AM, then around 8-9 PM it's veggie time. Should I give them a bit of both or can I continue with this routine?

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Good to know! I was really worried about them not getting enough sunlight, but I can rest easy now.

As for the veggies, it'd be great if you can share some photos later on ^_^. I did try to use a measuring cup, but as you said I wasn't sure how "full" a cup should be. My routine thus far consisted of giving them pellets at 7 AM, then around 8-9 PM it's veggie time. Should I give them a bit of both or can I continue with this routine?

For pellets, I would just give them an 1/8 of a cup each day, as that's the recommended amount. I typically just give a small handful in each dish every night when I sweep the cage. They never seem to finish them all anyway. Veggies, like I said, I would do half a cup each in the morning and again at night. It's better to have it spread out more.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Windows block so much sunlight that putting a cage in front of one won't do much for giving your pig vitamin D. And they have to be in direct sunlight, anyway, as far as I know.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Windows block so much sunlight that putting a cage in front of one won't do much for giving your pig vitamin D. And they have to be in direct sunlight, anyway, as far as I know.

Thats true. And it's not like we should be keeping our pigs outside, because that's a big no-no. Like I said, I don't think it's a big deal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.