Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Fleece for C&C: To Buy or Not To Buy?

Parabella

Cavy Gazer
Hey guys,
My first C&C cage is currently on its way (AusPost don't fail me now) and I'm planning on changing to fleece bedding. I have previously used it, but I made those myself and they had a waterproof bottom layer - it was a nightmare to wash. I currently use a wood based litter, but my allergies don't appreciate it at all; hence I'm back to fleece bedding. Those of you that have fleece bedding, where did you buy yours or how did you make them? I've half a mind to make them again, but I'd need a better design than the last one.
Cheers,
PB
Any Sydney/NSW based info is much appreciated.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I get my liners from an etsy shop

Parabella

Cavy Gazer

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
I use no sew flippers as I'm not exactly good at sewing, and they're easy to put together, but can be a lot of laundry since nothing is sewn together. I binder clip a sheet of fleece and two layers of uhaul to sheets of coroplast that I cut to fit each section of the cage. It works well for me, since it's easier to sweep and vacuum than if the fleece was just clipped to the side of the cage. Unlike most flippers though, mine don't actually 'flip', as I didn't cut enough fleece and uhaul to cover the backside of the coro sheets. But that's fine for me. I wash everything once a week, with a quick sweep and vacuum every night after work. :)

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Guinea Piggies Designs she is also online. Works well with a budget as well.
Prices very reasonable amazing quality and customer service is impeccable

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GuineaPiggiesDesigns
https://www.facebook.com/guineapiggiesdesigns/?fref=ts
(broken link removed)

Oh, and thanks for these links! I actually have been looking to buy a cuddle cup and my one potty pad I made sucks bad, since it was my first try at hand sewing lol. But she has both items in clearance for cheap and I was like, whoooo! :D

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
I use Ikea towels (they are pretty much the exact width for a 2 x something c and c cage) under a fleece top layer - I have sewn a patterned rectangular base piece of fleece to four plain side panels and it works a little like a reverse fitted sheet for a bed - the side panels go up the inside of the walls, over the top then down the outside and tuck under the coroplast/corflute. Here is the link that I followed: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/71625-Fleece-cage-liner-tutorial

It works 100% to stop them burrowing under the fleece and leaving poops everywhere, and it means you don’t have to change the corflute if you want to change the colour of the walls - you can just make a new liner with different coloured fleece.

I wash it and the towels once a week, but I have a few potty pads and a cardboard tray with recycled paper cat bedding from Woolworths (about $11 for 30L I think; though it’s about $20 at pet supply shops) for a kitchen which works really well to catch all their hay and poops etc. A bit of hay and paper bedding get onto the fleece from the kitchen, but if you use a mini vacuum or dustpan to spot clean once or twice a day it keeps everything pretty clean.

To clean the cage, basically hoover/sweep up everything, take out pigs + houses, roll it and the towels up (separately so you can shake the fleece outside if you want to get some of the hair off) and put it all in the wash.

The main thing you need to remember with fleece is that you have to wash it a few times before use so it wicks the pee through to the towels below rather than leaving it on top. To get mine to wick I used a Vanish capsule thing (pic below) and a 90 degree wash (it was under ’stains’ on our machine). I don’t use one every wash; just the first time, then only if the fleece ever stops wicking properly.

ImageGen.ashx.jpeg

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Oh, and thanks for these links! I actually have been looking to buy a cuddle cup and my one potty pad I made sucks bad, since it was my first try at hand sewing lol. But she has both items in clearance for cheap and I was like, whoooo! :D

No Problem on that

G.Piggies

Cavy Slave
I love fleece! VERY cost affective,stylish, and loved by my piggies. I got mine from piggybedspreads.com and love it! It doesn't have a uhaul pad inside but instead has like 3 fleece layers and a plastic bottom! I just take it up, shake the poos, and throw it in the wash. When it arrives it even gives you was instructions! I've found piggy bed spreads to have the best because with washing there is NO HASTLE! Absorbs pee so well, not thin at all, has awesome bottom. Please check it out, I recommend it more than making it yourself, etsy, or the Guinea pig market.

Parabella

Cavy Gazer
I was looking at piggy bed spreads, how is washing/drying them?

G.Piggies

Cavy Slave
Very easy. I take it out of the cage. Shake the poos. Put in the wash. Let finish. Put in drier. Done. I'm not sure the exact wash temperature whether it's warm or cold but it says it on a little card they put in the box when the ship it to you. The card has full care and wash instructions. Piggy bed spreads is a bit more expensive than others but it's thick,quality, and has a durable and helpful little plastic bottom that helps retain pee.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.