Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Males

I need help trying to get male pigs to get along with each other.
    My Wifes pig Midnight and our new pig Ros just do not seem to get along.
    Midnight is just under a year old and Ros is at least that old. We rescued Ros from a bad home (He was being abused by the people in the home and their cat) The people we got Ros from were planning on taking him out and shooting him if we did not take him. Both pigs get along with the girls but not with each other. We have tried bathing them together and doing the bedding switch. Each time they get together the teath chattering starts then erupts into a full blown fur fight. I stopped it before they hurt each other but I'll have the scar for life. We would like to get them to the point where they can get along any advice?

Thanks
    Thanks
    29 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Males

Both pigs get along with the girls but not with each other.

So both the boys are neutered?

Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I should hope that both are!?

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The people we got Ros from were planning on taking him out and shooting him if we did not take him

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?

Thanks
    Thanks
    206 Rec'd/165 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

Some pigs just don't get along but allowing them to see the girls could add to it. Most of the time male guinea pigs can be caged next to girls without problems but if they are in with them or if one smells like girls they will likely fight. Some can't be caged near girls. Also have you read the introductions page http://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions. Chattering is normal and they should not be seperated until they actually fight unless your very experienced with guinea pig introductions and can tell they will fight seriously and it's not going to work. If you've introduced correctly and being around girls is not the cause then I would say they have a personality clash and are just not going to get along. You can try housing them in a divided cage and see if they chill after awhile especially if one is around 6-8months when they go through puberty and can turn into little terrors for awhile. Worse than teenage boys. If they just won't get along permanently you can put 1 neutered boy in with the girls and try to find another friend for the other or a home where the other can be with another male or spayed female instead of alone.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,431 Rec'd/1,918 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Try a buddy bath. You can find info on how to do it on the social life page that aqh88 linked.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In answer to the questions.
    Yes Both Midnight and Ros are neuterd
    I have tried the buddy bath It worked for about half an hour.
    I have a scar from breaking up their last fight. (I know BLANKET)
    so i think it was getting pretty serious.
    neither is a teen pig. Midnight is actually a father now and Ros is old enough to be.
    The people who we got Ros from are currently in legal trouble for events unrelated to Ros directly but those problems probably contributed to his being mis-treated. Ill just say that apparently they were running a home chemistry shop.

Thanks
    Thanks
    29 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What size cage (dimensions) do you have? Boars need much more space, generally, then sows. Bigger is better, particularly if they're fighting. Do you have a C&C?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ros is in a 4 cube by 4 cube cavy cage and Midnight is in two of the largest store cages we can find. We linked them together. That's why we want them to get along so we can get rid of the store cages.

Thanks
    Thanks
    29 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Certainly big enough!

Did you thoroughly disinfect both cages before you introduced them together? Getting rid of their smell helps with creating 'neutral territory.' Did you read the link at cavy spirit that was given? It provides invaluable advice for introductions

Thanks
    Thanks
    206 Rec'd/165 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

A guinea pig will bite you when you go to touch it even if it hasn't decided to bite the other pig yet. They are on high alert and making sure the other guinea pig isn't going to attack. If you get near them they will bite. When introducing guinea pigs I use a thick towel wrapped around my hand to first pin down the guinea pig I want to pick up. If they have actually gotten into a fight I don't even pick one up. I pin one down and then slip a divider between them and leave them for a few minutes until they calm down a little.

User Tag List