Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: looking to adopt two females would greatly prefer spayed! columbia,MO

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 07, 2007
    Posts
    86
    Thanks
    8
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    looking to adopt two females would greatly prefer spayed! columbia,MO

    the reason I want to find two female guinea pigs is I have a male guinea pig, but he is kind of a special case, he has a heart murmore and is on medications for his health issue. When I first found out about all this from veterinarian I told her I really wanted to get him some cage mates since I know how social guinea pigs are. And I thought going along with letting him have a same sex cage mate was the best way to go.

    but it was actually her recommendation that I did not get another male, because since he is older he would probably be naturally territorial and she did not know with his health condition if that would be a good thing to do or not.

    I thought finding a pair of bonded females that was spayed already (just so as to avoid having babies) or two that were in good enough health to be spayed would be a perfect fit for him.

    me and my boyfriend are hopefully moving out of where we are now to a space of our own, and I intend on getting a nice c and c cage for my boy and hopefully getting one that would be good enough size for the girls also but I was also considering the idea of getting another cage just in case the girls would need to have a space of their own.


    if this takes me a bit of time to do I don't mind I just want to give my sweet guy something nice in his life since he probably won't have a very long life anyway.
    if that makes sense

  2. #2
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,006
    Thanks
    186
    Thanks
    7,309 Rec'd/5,826 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3899 Post(s)

    Re: looking to adopt two females would greatly prefer spayed! columbia,MO

    You're not likely to find two spayed females. Spaying is an invasive surgery that's usually not done unless a sow has ovarian cysts or other reproductive system problems. You might find one if you are willing to look long enough and far enough away, but there's no guarantee. Go to www.petfinder.com and search for females in your area, and contact all the rescues around you. They may have pigs that aren't yet posted on their sites, and/or foster homes that are closer to you than their address indicates.

    Age has nothing to do with whether or not a pig is territorial -- it's all down to personality. He might have more difficulty adjusting because he's been alone so long, but he might now. And he might do fine with a baby male -- boars often make good nannies. There would be some dominance struggles as the young one grows up, but it can work.

  3. #3
    Cavy Slave Saylavi's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 02, 2015
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    551
    Thanks
    266
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

    Re: looking to adopt two females would greatly prefer spayed! columbia,MO

    Is there anything wrong with getting him neutered? Just curious.
    not all rescues use petfinder, I found Aurora on adopt-a-pet. When you do find a rescue ask if they will stay for you, most of the ones I've talked to will since they can get discounts from vets

  4. #4
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 11, 2010
    Location
    sweet home Chicagoland
    Posts
    11,256
    Thanks
    773
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

    Re: looking to adopt two females would greatly prefer spayed! columbia,MO

    Quote Originally Posted by Saylavi View Post
    Is there anything wrong with getting him neutered? Just curious.
    not all rescues use petfinder, I found Aurora on adopt-a-pet. When you do find a rescue ask if they will stay for you, most of the ones I've talked to will since they can get discounts from vets
    Sounds like he has health issues so it might not be wise to go through a surgery since he has the heart murmur and other issues.

  5. "Thank you, pinky, for this useful post," says:


  6. #5
    Cavy Slave Saylavi's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 02, 2015
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    551
    Thanks
    266
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

    Re: looking to adopt two females would greatly prefer spayed! columbia,MO

    Here are some more rescues for Missouri









    http://hsmo.org/

    Dogs, Cats, Rabbits, Guinea pigs
    (humans society)




  7. #6
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 11, 2010
    Location
    sweet home Chicagoland
    Posts
    11,256
    Thanks
    773
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

    Re: looking to adopt two females would greatly prefer spayed! columbia,MO

    Quote Originally Posted by Saylavi View Post
    Here are some more rescues for Missouri









    http://hsmo.org/

    Dogs, Cats, Rabbits, Guinea pigs
    (humans society)



    Critter Corral is really far from Missouri. It's located in the Chicago area.

  8. #7
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 07, 2007
    Posts
    86
    Thanks
    8
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: looking to adopt two females would greatly prefer spayed! columbia,MO

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    You're not likely to find two spayed females. Spaying is an invasive surgery that's usually not done unless a sow has ovarian cysts or other reproductive system problems. You might find one if you are willing to look long enough and far enough away, but there's no guarantee. Go to www.petfinder.com and search for females in your area, and contact all the rescues around you. They may have pigs that aren't yet posted on their sites, and/or foster homes that are closer to you than their address indicates.

    Age has nothing to do with whether or not a pig is territorial -- it's all down to personality. He might have more difficulty adjusting because he's been alone so long, but he might now. And he might do fine with a baby male -- boars often make good nannies. There would be some dominance struggles as the young one grows up, but it can work.
    I appreciate you take on the situation and maybe this me just being my inner Veterinary Technician but if it was recommended to me to not put him with another male my a licensed DVM I am inclined to go with her suggestion.

    She did sympathize with me, cause she did admit that having him nurtured would be a lot easier to do then spaying a female, but due to his heart murmor she highly recommended that doing that would not be a good idea...and since with my schooling I do know some of the fine details when it comes to anaesthesia I think she makes a very good point. With his specific issues.

    I do agree with the personality comment, and I have a lot of people tell me he just might be a guinea pig that lives alone...but for me I just don't think that's really true he has gone out of his way to try and make friends with all of my other small animals usuch as my rats and his BEST friend that he does not live near now was my mother's dwarf rabbit that had three legs. Of course when he was or is around these other animals he was obviously supervised and made sure that he was being safe for himself and others...but I can just tell the lil guys wants companionship and it kind broke my heart that for a while just due to my work situation I could not give him that.

    I do realize that when I do get the girls or even another male that things might go entire different ways then all that....but I would at least like to see if its possible to at least give a chance to have companionship in his life.
    Last edited by kala83; 02-19-16 at 10:48 pm.

  9. #8
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jul 31, 2014
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    1
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: looking to adopt two females would greatly prefer spayed! columbia,MO

    Both Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue (in the Washington DC/Virginia area) and Asheville Guinea Pig Rescue (in Hendersonville, North Carolina) do spay guinea pigs. As a member of AGPR, I can tell you we spayed more than 20 females last year without incident. AGPR will have two spayed females available probably in late April, and Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue, which takes in far more piggies than we do because it is in a more populous area, will have more available.

  10. #9
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 11, 2010
    Location
    sweet home Chicagoland
    Posts
    11,256
    Thanks
    773
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

    Re: looking to adopt two females would greatly prefer spayed! columbia,MO

    Quote Originally Posted by Annews View Post
    Both Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue (in the Washington DC/Virginia area) and Asheville Guinea Pig Rescue (in Hendersonville, North Carolina) do spay guinea pigs. As a member of AGPR, I can tell you we spayed more than 20 females last year without incident. AGPR will have two spayed females available probably in late April, and Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue, which takes in far more piggies than we do because it is in a more populous area, will have more available.
    I'm curious what your adoption fee is for spayed females. Do you have a vet who donates services for you? I'd imagine a spay would be an expensive procedure and you'd be lucky if you have someone who gives you a break on the cost.

  11. #10
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jul 31, 2014
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    1
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: looking to adopt two females would greatly prefer spayed! columbia,MO

    Our adoption fee for a single pig (neutered or spayed) right now is $40; for a pair (neutered and/or spayed) is $75. It does not cover the full cost of the discounted surgery so we close the gap with donations. Our vet's normal spay/neuter cost for pigs is around $130, and he charges us about $70. His fee is very reasonable given that other vets in the area charge over $300. Spay/neuter costs are the one fee I wish all vets would keep low because it benefits not only the individual animal but really also provides a public service as well. We will probably raise our adoption fees at some point to cover more of our actual costs but I still want it to be affordable.

  12. "Thank you, Annews, for this useful post," says:


  13. #11
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 11, 2010
    Location
    sweet home Chicagoland
    Posts
    11,256
    Thanks
    773
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

    Re: looking to adopt two females would greatly prefer spayed! columbia,MO

    Quote Originally Posted by Annews View Post
    Our adoption fee for a single pig (neutered or spayed) right now is $40; for a pair (neutered and/or spayed) is $75. It does not cover the full cost of the discounted surgery so we close the gap with donations. Our vet's normal spay/neuter cost for pigs is around $130, and he charges us about $70. His fee is very reasonable given that other vets in the area charge over $300. Spay/neuter costs are the one fee I wish all vets would keep low because it benefits not only the individual animal but really also provides a public service as well. We will probably raise our adoption fees at some point to cover more of our actual costs but I still want it to be affordable.
    Wow! You're really lucky to have a vet who only charges you that much.

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •