Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea pig paralyzed from the waist down?

Reeses

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone, I just recently brought my seven year old Guinea pig reeses to an exotic vet. Her symptoms included weight loss, unusual behavior, not squeaking and crusty eyes. The vet could not pin point an exact problem with her so he gave me Baytril. She's been on this medication for four days. However, her back legs seem to be doing this weird thing where she can't keep on her feet when she walks. I don't know if this has anything to do with the medication, or her age. Is this normal? image.jpg

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Could be a vitamin C defiency. Have you tried giving her supplements?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Vitamin C deficiency sounds reasonable. What exactly do you feed her? What kind of hay? Which pellets, and how many? What veggies, and how much of each?

Coco and Pops

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig, Pops, had the same problem and we took him too the vets who gave him some medicine (i'm not sure what) and after a few days he was fine. However, my other guinea pig, Coco, had exactly the same problem so we took him to the vets who gave him some medicine and we thought everything was fine. But unfortunately he slowly deteriorated over two weeks and we had to take him to the vets again and she said he didn't have long to live. The next day he couldn't use his back legs at all and his eyes and nose were crusty and he didn't eat. Sadly Coco passed away that night.

Reeses

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for your help but unfortunately my little piggy just passed away tonight. Thank you for your help ❤️

Reeses

Cavy Gazer
She ate plenty of vitimin C her favorite treat was a yogie which is an orange flavored yogurt treat. My poor piggy passed away tonight in my arms. Thank you for your help ❤️

Reeses

Cavy Gazer
I made sure to give her plenty of vitimin c because she was sick before and that's what the vet suggested. Unfortunately my little Reeses passed away tonight. Thanks for your concern and help xx

pinky

Cavy Slave
@Reeses, I'm very sorry for your loss. She was 7 years old which is very good when you consider the normal age span of a guinea pig is 5 to 8 years old. I lost both of my seniors at age 7 last year and felt they each had a very good life. My guess is, she might have had a stroke. You did the right thing by having her checked by your vet and did everything you could have possibly done. You were a very good pet owner and I have no doubt that she understood how much you cared for her.

Reeses

Cavy Gazer
Thank you so much ❤️❤️❤️

tjanson280

Cavy Slave
Yes you did. So sorry for your loss of her

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.