Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions First Day Introductions, Normal Behavior Between 2 Males?

fisch277

Cavy Slave
Hello!

So we have a 5 month old boy (confirmed male) and a 2 month old (now not completely convinced a male?), and yesterday was their first day of introductions after the younger one completed the 2 weeks of quarantine!

It started off great, sniffing, a little bit of chasing and mounting, everything that I had read about and expected between two meeting piggies.

Then the 2 month old began spraying while being chased. From everything that I have read ONLY females do this behavior.

So my question is this, does this spraying mean that we have a little girl, or can males spray their scent as well to mark their territory?

Thank you!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Did you turn them both over and compare to see whether they're the same? If not, do so immediately. If one of them is a sow, separate them immediately.

See www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm.

fisch277

Cavy Slave
I have flipped them both over, and I felt pretty confident about my findings that they were both male until the younger one started spraying! I just did a recheck and from my new guinea pig eyes they are both male. So that is also a male behavior? The scent spraying?

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure about scent spraying, but I know both males and females drag their butts on the ground to leave their scent.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They both can spray, but it's much more a female behavior than male. Can you extrude a penis on the new one?

And it's not scent spraying, it's pee.

fisch277

Cavy Slave
I wasn't sure, in the one article I could find on it it called it scent spraying, thank you for the correction!

I just made a third attempt to extrude the penis, and yes he is a he! Such a wiggly little guy but I didn't give up this time.

Thank you for your response!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.