Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Carefresh bedding vs. Kaytee Clean and Cozy?

Jessie Bates

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!

I am a new piggy owner and so far have been using kaytee clean and cozy..well my piggy seemed to be sick so i brought him back to the pet store for a free vet visit and they said that i shouldnt be using kaytee because they seem to eat it and maybe thats why he is sick...(honestly i dont trust pet store people and i dont plan on ever buying another piggy from there even though i feel so bad for all of the fuzzy little guys)

I am thinking of buying new bedding, maybe carefresh?, for my piggy, even though a couple days ago i bought a huge bag of clean and cozy:/ so i want to know everyones opinion of these 2 beddings and which one is the safest for piggys!

Thanks!! lol

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
If eating it is the problem, there is no difference. What is he doing that makes him seem sick to you? Is he not eating well, or acting sluggish? I wouldn't trust a pet store vet as far as I could throw him.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
I agree with @LifeAsItMayBe, never trust a pet store vet. If he shows real signs of illness like one of these https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html then take him to a certified exotic vet. And about the bedding, I don't use Kaytee clean and cozy, and prefer Carefresh. Also, be careful which Kaytee one you get! Some of them are scented which is NOT SAFE for guinea pigs. It can damage them and could get them sick, because they are so sensitive to smell.

Aprille Coore

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm also new to piggy owning myself. Eight months ago, I bought a piggy and a petstore cage kit. I know it's a biggest mistake in my life. I had gotten my piggy when she was 2 weeks old, now she's 8 months. But my point is I always bought Carefresh but she always seems to kick up the bedding on the floor. Making mommy have to clean up. After running out of supplies, I had to chose a bedding that would last and not soak through like wet paper. So I bought Kaytee Soft Granule Blend, I was trying to find wood pellets I as have been reading on here about wood pellets on how o it turns into sawdust once wet. Bad news, is I didn't know where to find it. So I went for the Kaytee brad as it was sale for under $20.

Last edited:

Aprille Coore

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm also new to piggy owning myself. Eight months ago, I bought a piggy and a petstore cage kit. I know it's a biggest mistake in my life. I had gotten my piggy when she was 2 weeks old, now she's 8 months. But my point is I always bought Carefresh but she always seems to kick up the bedding on the floor. Making mommy have to clean up. After running out of supplies, I had to chose a bedding that would last and not soak through like wet paper. So I bought Kaytee Soft Granule Blend, I was trying to find wood pellets I as have been reading on here about wood pellets on how o it turns into sawdust once wet. Bad news, is I didn't know where to find it. So I went for the Kaytee brad as it was sale for under $20.00

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.